• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

They’re having a domestic...

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Jenny and Timmy have been with us 2 1/2 years now and came at just over a year old as a bonded pair.

This evening there has been constant bickering, chin offs and teeth chattering. Seems to be mainly caused by Jenny.

Could it be a tiff because Timmy ate her dinner? (She hid under the fleece, he came out, she didn’t. He ate her salad)
Could it be something serious that I can help them resolve?

She doesn’t seem to be in season but I guess cysts present in grumpy sows, anyth8ng else I should watch for here?

Jenny and Timmy have been with us 2 1/2 years now and came at just over a year old as a bonded pair.

This evening there has been constant bickering, chin offs and teeth chattering. Seems to be mainly caused by Jenny.

Could it be a tiff because Timmy ate her dinner? (She hid under the fleece, he came out, she didn’t. He ate her salad)
Could it be something serious that I can help them resolve?

She doesn’t seem to be in season but I guess cysts present in grumpy sows, anyth8ng else I should watch for here?
I don't think guinea pigs have that advanced of a thought process. It seems more human to be fighting someone over stealing. They are probably just being dominant.

Bumping for more help please. I’ve just put a divider in as they had a fur flying fight although no blood, Jenny had a mouthful of his fur though.

Has it been a sudden thing? If so then I'd really be thinking of taking a trip to the vet - something must have changed with at least one of them and I'd be wanting to rule out something medical.

Hope you get some more experienced views, though, and/or it all settles down.

Thanks Tangle. I hope @Wiebke or one of the others swings by soon. I’m on nights for the next few days and then we are going away with the in laws piggy sitting. Rotten timing!

Hmm, a year later and here we are again. Just had to separate them as Timmy has been appearing to attack Jenny. They’ve been making a huge amount of noise, teeth chattering etc but Timmy has been doing like a flying leap at Jenny and it’s all looked scary.

Now they are trying to get to each other and moping.

Hmm, a year later and here we are again. Just had to separate them as Timmy has been appearing to attack Jenny. They’ve been making a huge amount of noise, teeth chattering etc but Timmy has been doing like a flying leap at Jenny and it’s all looked scary.

Is it two sows?

Sorry, I didn't find it clear xx

Is there any other noticeable change? I tend to find that when there is an illness or perceived weakness that can do it, or has she had a strong season and that’s caused a fall out?

Please have Timmy checked for ovarian cysts; they are the more common the older sows get and can cause aggressive behaviour and even permanent fall-outs.
Here is more information: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Please have Timmy checked for ovarian cysts; they are the more common the older sows get and can cause aggressive behaviour and even permanent fall-outs.
Here is more information: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Timmy is a neutered male. It’s Jenny that is the female. It seems that it is Timmy going for her. Could that be cysts? She seems to have been hiding in her snuggle sack whilst he chatters and stands on her! A year ago she seemed to be the instigator but tonight it is him.

Is there any other noticeable change? I tend to find that when there is an illness or perceived weakness that can do it, or has she had a strong season and that’s caused a fall out?

Not that I have seen. We had a couple of episodes a year ago, then all calm until this evening. What is different is that it is him going for her. Last year it was the other way round.

Timmy is a neutered male. It’s Jenny that is the female. It seems that it is Timmy going for her. Could that be cysts? She seems to have been hiding in her snuggle sack whilst he chatters and stands on her! A year ago she seemed to be the instigator but tonight it is him.

Sorry - it wasn't quite clear from the last post I read. Boars don't have ovaries and don't have ovarian cysts.

Unfortunately it sounds like this is one of the few cross gender bonds that is not working out. It is VERY rare that bonded pairs do this, but it can sadly happen. :(
There may be an underlying health issue that is tipping the balance of the bond or it is just a bad match with some old grudge that resurfaces from time to time like a volcano boiling over.
The advice in this link here can help you to work out whether you still have a functional bond or not; it is the best way of getting your piggies' honest opinion as we can sadly not ask them directly: Bonds In Trouble

All the best!

I’d definitely check that there is no underlying health issue in either of them that could be causing an issue.

Thanks. They both moped behind the grids, and appeared pretty affectionate toward each other at the bars. Once the kids have moved out of the lounge later I will remove the grid and sit with some oven gloves on and see what happens.

Looks like a vet check up needs to happen too.

Thanks, I’ll keep you posted xx

I’ve been sat for an hour. She is in a paper bag asleep after turning out the hay it was stuffed with. Oh and the other pig. Sigh. He came out of the bag, rumbled a bit and went to sleep under the footstool. She took up residence in the bag. Not a peep out of either of them since.

Well its all a bit odd. There was a definite atmosphere between them last night but no particular aggressive outbursts, just lots of chattering and teeth chattering and a bit tense.

My son was up early and said the only time there was any upset was when Jenny went in one of the snuggle sacks. You know, one of the pair of identical sacks so they can have one each... sigh.

So we’ve taken that out and all is quiet on the western front. They are both ignoring the alternative sack. They are both taking it in turns to walk under a paper bag just now. Or they were. Jenny just sat in it so Timmy has wandered off.

Honestly. They really are ridiculously complicated animals.

Back