Think I may have to split my piggies up.

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can’t offer any help as I have no herd experience however my boys have to live separately. It’s not ideal cage size wise but Chunk attacked Reggie so it just wasn’t safe to leave them together. In hindsight (we were new piggie owners) there was a LOT of chattering and Reggie did take himself off upstairs to sleep out the way. Whatever decision you make will be in their best interests, fingers crossed they all settle whatever you decide 🤞🏻😊

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds like you've done everything you can, but if they're not getting along then they're not getting along. Hope the change goes smoothly.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It sounds like you've done everything you can, but if they're not getting along then they're not getting along. Hope the change goes smoothly.
Thanks. Dennis seemed a bit brighter this morning. It'll take a while for him to realise that Christian isn't constantly chasing him and he can relax now.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
When I went to give the piggies their dinner of veg and put the snugglesafes in, Dennis was obviously much happier. His eyes were brighter and he was more alert than he has been in a few weeks. :) It was obvious now that he was unhappy.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
When I went to give the piggies their dinner of veg and put the snugglesafes in, Dennis was obviously much happier. His eyes were brighter and he was more alert than he has been in a few weeks. :) It was obvious now that he was unhappy.
Well done @Betsy for spotting the signs. Hope that Dennis will now flourish without the threat of Christian in his space.

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm sorry it has come to this Jackie,but you have made the correct decision if Dennis seems brighter.a very hard decision for you.:hug:

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Betsy doesn't seem at all phased that she is apart from the other three. I think it helps that Betsy can still smell and hear the others. As her eyesight is practically non existant now (she only sees shadows) she is probably unaware that she is only living with Dennis now.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm glad Denis is happy now. I am sure you have done the right thing. It realy upset me when I had to seperate Caspy and Red but Caspy perked up as soon as he realised Red couldn't get to him through the barrier. He's such a confident little piggy now, it all worked out in the end.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It was a heart wrenching thing to do to split my piggies but now I'm so glad I did. Dennis is a much happier boy now without his bully of a brother around and last night when I went out a veg time, Dennis was actually POPCORNING! :) I've not seen him do that in a long while.

Christian is happier too without being on constant guard that Dennis will steal his ladies. He always got on better with Velvet and Meg than Betsy anyway. There is so much less tension than there was before. But I didn't notice it as it was so gradual then when there is none it was obvious it was there if that makes sense.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad that you have a happy Dennis again. Piggies can be very subtle and sly in their behaviour, especially when it comes to bullying. Unless you can observe them 24 hours a day you can only look for obvious signs of an issue. When the subtle signs became apparent you acted and have clearly done the right thing. Well done x

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am so glad that you have a happy Dennis again. Piggies can be very subtle and sly in their behaviour, especially when it comes to bullying. Unless you can observe them 24 hours a day you can only look for obvious signs of an issue. When the subtle signs became apparent you acted and have clearly done the right thing. Well done x
Thanks Vicki.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was heartbreaking when i had to split my two male gerbils up because one almost killed the othet. Now they are the healthiest happiest looking ive seen them😁. But they shouldnt be kept alone😣. Its working out though.

Glad Dennis is ok

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So pleased the split has worked out well for them all, sounds like it was definitely the right thing to do. Hopefully all calm for you and the piggies now :)

Sophie B

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad everything is going better now, and that they’re all happier x

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw, it sounds like it’s been the best thing for everyone x you can sleep sound now too x

Janey

*Photo Competition Winner*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I've only just seen this, but so pleased you followed your gut instinct and noticed the signs they were showing you. Really glad Dennis seems happier, that must be such a huge relief.