• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Think my cage is too crowded?

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Think things are too crowded in my cage?

Attachments

• 20201012_201512.jpg
    20201012_201512.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 78
Love the hay and veg trays!

I suppose it depends on if your pigs like to race around. If they do, you could always turn the end tunnel sideways to give them a clear path around. Or maybe invest in a house that has two exits which can sit in the corner? But if your pigs are happy and get their floor time for running about, then I’m sure it’s okay 🙂

Wow your guinea pigs are so big! Can't imagine mine getting to that size! I think judging by the size requirements you have just over the minimum recommendation for three guinea pigs but it doesn't look too spacious to me (I have 4 younger pigs in roughly the same size or slightly smaller on the ground floor -in the middle of building an extension) and I had the same problem on the bottom floor in the end I got rid of my litter tray that I was using like you for hay and I just put it in a hay bag/rack instead and it's much more spacious. Also I took out their large tunnels! I think if you got rid of the litter trays and a few of the tunnels they'd have plenty of room. :)

I can see what you mean there doesn’t look to be much floor space, I have had this dilemma with our cage and I think I have just about found the right balance! Maybe remove a tunnel, and one of the hay trays and just pile it up instead? That way they can run through it. We have a corner litter tray for hay and I do find they save a lot of space!

I would say perhaps leave only one tube in there, and remove the box in the far right corner (what’s in it?). And you could use correx and cut it to the width of the cage and use as your hay area. Even better would be to extend if possible. It’s the right space for the number, but as you can see there isn’t much room with all the hides etc. That also looks like quite a lot of veg (lettuce) for three piggies.

I would say perhaps leave only one tube in there, and remove the box in the far right corner (what’s in it?). And you could use correx and cut it to the width of the cage and use as your hay area. Even better would be to extend if possible. It’s the right space for the number, but as you can see there isn’t much room with all the hides etc. That also looks like quite a lot of veg (lettuce) for three piggies.
I agree with @Siikibam on perhaps removing a couple of tunnels. You can also get a corner forrest (like the photo below) and it serves as a hiding area too. Or if you want them to have a couple of tube/tunnel, a 3-way fleece tube is a great idea. I have that for my piggies as well.

71okANoOg7L._AC_SL1500_.jpgil_570xN.1248565643_8r45.jpgil_570xN.1520390582_kmji.jpg

I had this problem when I had my two in a 2x4 and to be honest I still sometimes get carried away filling up their 3x4. I swap what they have in there every week so they don't have to have all the stuff they enjoy in there at all times.

When I remove my hay trays to add more room.

Do you recommend anything to put under it so it doesn't get super messy in the area?

It looks so fun I want to get in there myself! I think Sweet Potato has a great point about swapping things around now and then: this way you could make some room but they still get to use everything and it adds a little variety to life!

When I remove my hay trays to add more room.

Do you recommend anything to put under it so it doesn't get super messy in the area?
You could fashion a hay tray out of correx.

Back