• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Thinking about having more guinea pigs

Iggle piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

We got our two girls about 3 months ago and are loving having them. We bought a 6ft double chartwell hutch and run as we didn't know if we'd have them outside or inside but it turns out I love having them in the conservatory, much more interaction and I'm paranoid about foxes.

We're thinking about getting two more guinea pigs and expanding their run area further so they've generally got more space, figured four guinea pigs, it might eventually get crowded.

Would you suggest getting another two girls or trying to get a girl and neutered boy - definitely don't want to breed but also want to make sure they're happy.

Thanks x

The hutch/cage needs to be at least 12 sq feet if they’re shut in for the night. Which you get depends on who the girls get on with. The best way to find out is to take them dating at a rescue so they can choose their own friends. Just be aware that if you decide to get them from a pet shop/other private owner you need a backup plan in case your girls decide they don’t want any more to join them.

Thanks for replying so late 🙈 yes definitely 12 square feet at the moment, the run is always on (vet bedding underneath) and the hutch doors open so they've got extra space (they like to hop about) didn't think about seeing if our local rescue centre would let our pigs interact with others to see if they're interested - I'll see if I can arrange it

Look at the rescue locator and see which are near you. Send them emails as some may have a waiting list. Don’t discount those that are a little further away. The majority of piggies travel well.

Another thing to consider is the vet costs if they fall ill.

Got the tape measure out to check, they've got 24 square feet on the bottom 🙈 we were going to add a bit more, do you think that will be ok for four? Sorry, reasonably new but want to make sure

Is that just the bottom floor? 12sq feet is the minimum for four so that’s more than enough. Where did you get a hutch that’s 24sq feet? Or does that include the attached play pen?

Another thing to consider is the vet costs if they fall ill.

Yeah, I'd get the other two insured as well. Possibly bit silly but I kind of think of them as a third child so used to costs 🙈

That includes the run, my hubby made it bigger himself but maybe we don't need to extend it lol

That’s fine. You can then have some hides in the run and a couple in the hutch.
I would think about putting away some money in a vet fund. Insurance can be expensive and some illnesses may not be covered. You’d have to read the small print. There are several threads on here about it so have a read then decide. There’s only one company that insures them as well. I’m assuming you’re in the U.K. please can you add your county/state or country to your profile.

Yes will do re profile

I'll have a look into it all a bit more and then contact an adoption centre

Back