• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Thinking of learning to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
But i'm scared, does anyone have any thing they could email me that i could read through please or any suggestions?

Thanks, Louise xx

I know it's so easy for me to say, but do give it a try. Your confidence will grow everytime you get in the car and before you know it, it'll just click and you'll be able to drive

Even if you never go on a motorway or drive at night (for example) you'll always have it.

My mum regrets not learning when she was younger - I keep telling her it's never too late, but she doesn't believe me rolleyes

I learnt to drive when I was 19 and I would be so stuck without my car (and I wouldn't have my lovely Boris!)

Could you maybe book one lesson with an instuctor and see how it goes? Even if you don't actually drive in the first lesson, I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease. Some advertise as being good with nervous learners, maybe they'd be worth a shot first?

Good luck (to you both) xx

You have to learn so much though and i'm so forgetful rolleyes

i'm not really all that keen on driving if i'm honest... I'm sure there will come a day that I will need to drive, but for now? no.

i'm sure you'll be fine though It's nothing about driving I don't like, just the added polloution xx

You only really learn a bit at a time ;) The main thing is your feet.

Once you've got your feet in order, the rest will fit into place. Don't worry about things like stalling it, they expect that and we all still stall at now! To be honest, once you can go, change gear and stop the rest is just extras and polishing up ;)

And don't forget that the instructor has a brake too so he can stop you getting into trouble. He'll gauge your confidence and increase the route in relation. e.g. he'll only take you on left hand turns for a couple of weeks as they're easier than right ones ;)

Go on, what've you got to lose? You may be a natural and just not know it! ;)

You can always learn in an automatic, then you don't have to think about gear changes. It does mean you can only ever drive an auto unless you retake your test in a manual, but it's always an option.

Remember you're not obliged to stay with one particular instructor so if you have a lesson and you don't like them, you can find someone else :)

Tell them that you're nervous, they're trained to deal with it.

Ask for lessons on a Sunday or during the day time (avoiding rush hour)when the roads are quieter you might find that once you get a bit more confident you can try different times of the day.

Look up different driving schools in your area, and ask your friends/family/colleagues who they used.

I was such a nervous learner, I didn't pass my test until my sixth attempt") which I get a bit of stick for but I've been driving for 7 years now and I love it :)

I lived in a little village with rubbish transport links so I had to pass my test if I had any hope of getting a job or getting anywhere basically.

This article might help http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article722210.ece

Some places offer off road driving lessons, these are usually for under 17s but they might let you do it if you ask.

If you do pass your test I would recommend doing Pass Plus as well - it's additional training covering and can help lower your insurance. There's the Institute of Advanced Motorists too which aim to make you a safer and more confident driver.

Good luck xx

But i'm scared, does anyone have any thing they could email me that i could read through please or any suggestions?

Thanks, Louise xx

Hiya Hun
I learnt to drive with The AA which were brilliant.
I did a virtual day course with them before I actually got into a car.
It was really good, its a virtual car where it tells you how to do everything so really good to know before you actually get into a real car on the roads etc.

Then my first 3-4 lessons we drove around quiet roads and housing estates so I could get used to it. Then once I felt comfortable we drove on normal roads.
I passed my test first time in 32 hours of lessons too which apparently is pretty good nowadays too.
They do discount too if you buy your lessons in bulk.
Hope this helps.
Love Stacey x

I think it is a great idea Louise, it is something I really want to do. One day. xx

I learnt with BSM, it was hard going as I had a crash part way through and took five attempts I found that practicing the hazard perception CDs a huge help and I also had a couple of stimulator lessons before hand.

There is also a very good learner driver forum out there was well

http://www.2passforum.co.uk/

No probs, I remember how tough it was now I wouldn't be without my car, though currently I am as its snow bound half way up a hill! On my eigth lesson I was in a crash (not my fault) and it took me a long time to get my confidence back. It took my sister 10 attempts (took me 5) give it a try, its hard work but so worth it.

Summertime i'm going to do it!
I'm fed up of having to rely on people to take me and mum places and getting the babies to and fro vets.
Me and mum will be able to do more and take the girls out x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back