• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Thoughts on laptime?

Eviolus-

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been unsure on laptime for a while now; I used to give laptime to all my piggies every day but I was hesitant on whether they liked it so I stopped but I miss it

I have four:
Sprite - Too adventurous and hungry for any kind of cuddle
Pepper - Most tame and loves to be pet but is more interested in knocking things off of my bedside table
Tango - Doesn't really like to be pet but after some coercing will cuddle up and relax
Bru - My newest and least tame, due to a rather morbid past he is terrified of being held, I managed to get him to a point where he would happily eat veggies during laptime and I can lightly pet his nose but I don't want to scare him further.

Any tips on helping piggies enjoy laptime more/is it good for them? Is it bad to give it to some and not others? What do you guys do for laptime with your pigs? Sorry for so many details... Any advice is appreciated!

If they don't like it then I wouldn't force them. And you can't get them to like it if they don't. I don't do lap time really. I think the last time was...earlier this year when I had the girls out. They sat on my lap for about 5mins then I put them in a cat bed next to me on the chair. One likes it more than the other. The boys last had some laptime with the kids about...a month ago. But it's not regular here. I like to interact with them on their own grounds.

:agr:
My two don’t do laptime...it would be their worst nightmare!
I tend to sit in the shed and talk to them and watch them interact with each other. They (one more than the other) is likely to come over and have a quick head or chin rub, but that’s it. (The only other physical contact we have is for their health checks)

It's not bad to give lap time to some and not others. If one of two of your piggies quite like it and so do you then I would spend lap time with those piggies and enjoy watching the others doing their own thing. I would just give them a little at a time tho, to build their confidence and don't force them to have more than they are ready for. As a small, prey species it is not easy for them to learn to put their trust in us

I agree it depends on the individual pigs. I have one piggie who hates anything like lap time and will try to jump from my lap or the couch so I dont try with him, he loves running around on the floor instead and likes to get head scratches in his cage or on the floor. The other seems to enjoy hanging out on the couch with us and will eat his veg or some grass, walk over our laps to explore and lie down and chill out.

When Evo and Revo were babies we got them used to handling because we were afraid their hair would grow much longer like their mom and we'd have to take care of that. Now they're very used to it. Evo shows signs of content during lap time, also falls asleep ^__^. Revo is shyer and prefers cuddling next to us under the movie plaid and tries to avoid our hands (unless we have food).
So yep, different poogies, different habits.

I have piggies that find handling very stressful, so I only medicate and helath check/groom in combination with a little piggy whispering. Most don't mind a short cuddling session every now and then. A few like being cuddled for a bit longer.

Generally I get more enjoyment from playful enrichment and allowing the piggies the freedom to interact with me on their own terms. Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

I don't have a lap piggie, some will tolerate being held more than other's but I've never had one that would snuggle down and enjoy it. I get mine comfortable to be handled for health checks and nail trims but don't push it any further.

Back