• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Thoughts on this hutch please

Nick G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a second hutch to house our two girls and wanted to get your thoughts on the following:

Balmoral Rabbit Hutch

I would get the cover also and it does seem better than some others I have seen. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks :0)

I personally think its a pretty decent hutch. Its large and it seems like they would be happy there. The only concern that i have is the wooden bar in the middle, just under the ramp. I would put something over that, but you may or may not have to.

Good luck finding a new hutch!

It looks lovely. However you have to ask yourself what is the internal floor space of the hutch rather than the run and hutch combined? That is the key thing as not all piggies will use the ramp and run combined. Also in bad weather they will be confined to the hutch. So if the hutch size meets minimum standards (or larger),then that’s great. I’d also be concerned about piggies using the ramp as it is steep and has no sides. If you could add sides/a tunnel then that would certainly help.

The internal area is only just over 5sq feet, so whilst it looks really good, I think it’s too small

Personally, I think it is too small. Run and hutch together measurement wise is probably fine for guinea pigs but if they are in the hutch due to bad weather, then the hutch floor space, I think, is too small. It says it’s just over 5 square ft. You need to be looking at internal space of a minimum of 7 square feet.
(As a side, it makes me so sad that this says it’s suitable for rabbits, this is not big enough for a rabbit at all 😢)

I have Chartwell Double Hutches it is the 6ft double and I and my pigs are very pleased with it. I have a herd of 5 so I got the largest I could afford I also have Hutch Snuggles with Bye Bye Fly Screen™ and the Hutch Hugger covers for them. I put them in a separate run each day which is either on the patio or the grass depending on how much grass is left in my garden. At the mo it is mainly yellow and dead cos of the weather. I am awaiting the rain so that I can have a verdant lawn again for my piggies to munch on.

Thank you for your post Betsy. I did look at this hutch but the floor not being lined did put me off. I know I could line it myself but I thought for 215 pounds it would already have a floor lining in it. One to consider.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks in advance:0)

Looks like it would be a pain to move onto fresh grass every week for grazing, also looks a nightmare to clean. As others have said it's a bit small internally.

Back