• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Three Pigs And A Dog

Suze5202

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our three pigs spend their summers outside with a spacious hutch and run. However the cold Lancashire winter is almost upon us and they will soon need to come in for winter.

Tilly Hetty and Coco usually spend their winters with a Midwest cage left open to allow them unlimited floor time in the living room. (Laminate flooring means we can clean up easily)

However we have acquired a rescue Jack Russell and I know terriers and rodents don't mix! Bob hasn't bothered with the girls much but I don't want to take any risks. Therefore I'm looking for suggestions for a robust cage where they can spend their winter which also has plenty of room to play.

I plan to keep the pigs in another room shut away from Bob when we're not at home. Just in case.

Could you put the midwest cage up on a table so doggy can't get in it even if he did get into the room?

I have a C&C cage but it's off the floor as I also have 2 terriers. They don't bother at all with the pigs and totally ignore them as they can't see them.

I have two terrier too and all mine are up on tables in C&C cages. The dogs don't get to go upstairs without us though. Even if you did have a fully enclosed cage, if your dog was determined enough it could get in. I would get a solid cage and also have it up on a table where the dog can't climb up to it.

I have a c and c cage on two ikea tables. It is in the dining room where the dogs are not allowed. I have a collie and.a labrador. I did have a solid cage at first but prefer the easy access and extra space of the c and c style cage.

The collie was initially very excited by the wheeking but I called her to me and gave her a treat for sitting quietly each time and she soon calmed down!

2urp4c7.jpg

Raised enclosures are certainly better if you have predators around. I had a dog growing up who actually ate half a chest freezer when we left the house for half an hour... So they can get into anything if they really want to! Plus it will be less stressful for the piggies being above your dog too, my cat has a habit of staring at the pigs with curious intent and it freaks some of my pigs out.

Back