Thunderstorm?

KGill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
Our piggies are outside during the summer - hutch with run but we close the hutch at night because of pine martens (two of our neighbours chickens were murdered by one last year and I don’t want to take the risk).
Massive thunderstorm this morning so I offered to help my 9 year old rescue them and bring them inside as she was upset and worried about them (not what you need at 5 in the morning!).
One was absolutely terrified (it was quite loud). They’re now in an indoor run in the kitchen.
I can’t do this every time there’s a storm - what if we’re not there (work / school) or it’s the middle of the night?
Should they be fine?
Also, we’re getting a dog soon so putting them in the kitchen isn’t an option. Don’t really want to have an indoor hutch set up all year round.
thank you :)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Any new noise is scary for them, the sudden bangs of thunder and fireworks can be scary - some are fine with it though others not. Sometimes it’s only the first couple of claps of thunder or firework bangs which will scare them but they settle after the first few And from then on aren’t bothered.
Given the unpredictable nature of storms and the fact that you aren’t going to always be there at the exact moment, then I don’t think there is a lot you can do.

Mine aren’t bothered by thunder. The first time a firework goes off it makes then take notice, but they are fine after that. I throw an old duvet over their hutch to hopefully help muffle the sound (and block out the flashes - although they aren’t likely to see lightning flashes during the day) and give them an extra thick hay layer to hide into. If you are home and now a storm is likely then perhaps you can take these measures but otherwise, any loud noises can happen at any time and it’s not going to be possible to protect them from every sound

LMPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been to check on ours during a storm. They both were hiding in their "bedroom". However, when I went to see them afterwards they were just fine and wandering about again, so I don't think they were truly "spooked" just cautious as they are with any loud noises

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Our girls live outside as we have dogs and bringing them in isn't an option, they are now back out of the shed, covered over currently with a thick blanket or old duvet and tarpaulins, they are in the shelter of the house to and seem to be ok. Am in the process of trying to sort a proper cover for the hutch but they don't seem too worried by noises etc.