• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tica's Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Tica has some sort of issue going on with her eye. I was wondering why she was a little more subdued than usual this morning and when I took her out of her igloo, I noticed her eye. Obviously I'll be taking her to the vet, but I'm thinking it could be conjunctivitis? Is this contagious? Right now, she's still in her cage with Vixen. I have mushed up some pellets in water for her and left some solid ones in as well. But she was eating hay when I put her back into the cage and ate veggies when I was inspecting her eye. It is taking her a tiny bit longer to eat things that she would normally gobble right up but I imagine that's because her one cheek below her eye is a little bit swollen. She's still moving about but the sight is obviously affected in that eye. I wiped away around the eye with a warm, damp cloth to wipe off the weeping from her fur. Anyways, I thought I'd get some advice on here as well as the vet. Thanks!

It looks like a conjunctivitis. Please have her seen by a vet.

I've already said I will take her to the vet- we have an appointment. Is it contagious? Should I be moving my other pigs?

I've already said I will take her to the vet- we have an appointment. Is it contagious? Should I be moving my other pigs?

It is not contagious; but you may look whether you have any drafts that you could block off? Some eye drops should take care of it and make her hopefully feel better in herself again as soon as the discomfort in the eye is going down.

It is not contagious; but you may look whether you have any drafts that you could block off? Some eye drops should take care of it and make her hopefully feel better in herself again as soon as the discomfort in the eye is going down.
Thank-you. The vet gave us two weeks worth of eye drops and as far as I can tell there are no drafts aside from when I have to open the door to the room unfortunately. I'm going to put some cloth up on that side of the cage to help prevent it but the room is kept at a balmy 24 degrees and the rest of the house at 18. Hopefully the eye drops will help.

I hope she'll have a quick recovery! Lots of hugs for her!

Lots of healing vibes x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back