• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

tilted head

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

baby who is now about 9 months has had a pretty hard time since being born. he has a cleft lip, is blind and nearly died from a uri which went on for four weeks, he has had endless uri and had suffered a tilted head but once on baytril got over it within a couple days. recently he got a tilted head again, i got him straight to the vets and he was put on baytril, it had no effect so he was then put on metcam, been on that for 5 weeks . he's got no worse but no better.

has anybody had any experiance of pigs with tilted head

H

hils78

Yes I have. It is my sow Sylvie. The head tilt only lasted for a few hours but scared the cr@p out of me. There are several causes
* EXTREME stress
* an inner ear infection which can be detected by feeling at the base of the ear and if it is there they will shy away from your touch
*genetics
* in Sylvies case it was 1 of two things - a kind of parasite which gets into the blood which in turn causes head tilt (I'm sure this is right but was a while ago now). Vedra from the CCT said that vetinary college teach that only rabbits can get this but she has definatley seen a couple of cases in Guineas. The cure I think is Ivomec & Panocure (sp?) but seriously I would call Vedra - her number is here somewhere at the top of the Health section.
*she was once owned by an old couple & 'may have' been picked up by the scruff of her neck.

I hope this helps - but I seriously would contact Vedra.

T

tawny

it's interesting to know, the vets seem to have no idea and have not treated him for ear mites as they say there is no signs of wax or anything. it's been 7 weeks in all and it is quite a severe tilt. i have had to separate him so he doesn't get knocked over.

it could be genetic has he has a lot of problems. he is a fantastic pig with real atitude. he lets me rub his ear, seems to comfort him.

i feel so sorry for him. my vets don't seem to be bothered to look into it.

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bil had a head tilt at the end
This was due to severe teeth probs - he had a tooth growing into his nasal cavity

Beks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Head tilts can also be caused my mites in the ear or sometimes from difficult births. Massage can help with this, though I've never had to do this so can't tell you methods etc.

As Hils has said, speak with Vedra if you can and she will advise you best. Good Luck!

H

hils78

If you know anyone who does Reiki ask them to give him a go. I did a bit on Sylvie and it was really weird because my hands went really icey cold where as they usually go hot. It definately 'seemed' to have a good result. If you are ever in the Nottingham area bring him over & I'll give him a session!
Do give Vedra a call because the advice is free.

K

KatsCavies

Cavies can also be left with head tilt after suffering a stroke. I had a boar who ended up with head tilt after a stroke. In most cases, the first stroke does them no harm and they make a full recovery but if they are unlucky enough to suffer another, it usually proves fatal.

Kat

C

cavies

KatsCavies said:
Cavies can also be left with head tilt after suffering a stroke. I had a boar who ended up with head tilt after a stroke. In most cases, the first stroke does them no harm and they make a full recovery but if they are unlucky enough to suffer another, it usually proves fatal.
Kat
Wooow that is very interesting Kat

K

KatsCavies

Ye, you can tell if your piggy has had a stroke as it will be lying down and will totally freak out if you touch it or try to move it. You have to just leave them quietly in the dark until they come round on their own.

Kat

H

hils78

I wonder if it was a stroke with Sylvie then? her head was bent with her body she was literally a C shape and wobbling over. Although I would have thought CCT would have diagnosed that. She has absolutely no symptoms what so ever of it happening. Who knows. She is now my problem child - I may re-name her ASBO & change Spuds name for Hoody! - those names are copyrighted btw!

K

KatsCavies

Unless you see your pig as it has had the stroke, you will not know it has had one as there are no symptoms other than if it has been left with head tilt. I did find my pig just after he had had his so I knew what had happened. The good news is that the head tilt can gradually get better, although not 100%.

here's the link to info on strokes from Peter Gurneys site http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/strokes.htm

Kat

T

tawny

hils 78, that's really nice of you. thanks all for the great advice. baby had been having ear problems for awhile, it all started after he had mites and he was on treatment every two weeks for 6 weeks. i took him back to the vet and she saw something around his ear that looked like eggs but she sed it wasn't ear mites and treated him for mites, just a one off dose. he had a head tilt at that time and was put on baytril and improved quickly. two months on he was showing signs again of an ear problem and then got the tilt but this time it wouldn't clear, it got worse over a 4 day period.

it has now stabilised and baby is very tilted but most of the time copes. if he is concentrating his neck can straighten, he has just learnt to take water from a bottle again and for that he can also straighten his head. when he stands still or walks then his head goes to the side.

no vet has ever checked his teeth and yet they know his front teeth overlap and that he could have problems with his others. they have never tried to treat him for ear mites.

i think it's time for me to try a new vets. i love baby to bits and he deserves every chance and i don't think the vets have tryed all they can, hes been on metcam for 5 weeks now with no follow up planned.

i have been told to try thornit in his ear , as anybody used this stuff?

thankyou to you all, you've made me realise there is alot more to investigate yet ;)

C

cavykind

hils78 said:
If you know anyone who does Reiki ask them to give him a go. I did a bit on Sylvie and it was really weird because my hands went really icey cold where as they usually go hot. It definately 'seemed' to have a good result. If you are ever in the Nottingham area bring him over & I'll give him a session!
Do give Vedra a call because the advice is free.
Why don't you send some distant Reiki, it's very effective in my experience.
If baby's mum can pst a picture? That would be helpful, I'm happy to send some too :)
A pic isn't essential but it can help some to focus.

Barbara

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Good luck, you've been given some great advice here
Yes i'd def try a new Vet, teeth should always be checked, that's just a basic thing :o
SO sorry you and Baby have had to go thru this :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.