• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Timing The Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Star

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got a 2 month old boar and a 4 month old boar that I got together, and as far as i can tell they're pretty bonded (no fighting or fussing beyond the occasional rumblestrut).

Then I have a 5.5 year old piggy who's all alone (his cage mate passed away a few months ago) in a separate cage.

I was reading in another thread about how young boars are at the height of their hormonal dominance or what have you between 12-14 weeks.

Should I wait until both the younguns have gotten past their bratty stage (past 14 weeks) to introduce them properly? or should I go ahead and introduce them while the little ones are still young, lil and impressionable? xP

Personally I would go ahead, as boars can change a few times as they age. I've had a couple turn into nightmares when they reached their "terrible two's".

Some older boars are happy to be assertive to youngsters but I've also had a few, like me last old boy, get to a certain age and he can't be bothered with the fuss anymore.

I've got a 2 month old boar and a 4 month old boar that I got together, and as far as i can tell they're pretty bonded (no fighting or fussing beyond the occasional rumblestrut).

Then I have a 5.5 year old piggy who's all alone (his cage mate passed away a few months ago) in a separate cage.

I was reading in another thread about how young boars are at the height of their hormonal dominance or what have you between 12-14 weeks.

Should I wait until both the younguns have gotten past their bratty stage (past 14 weeks) to introduce them properly? or should I go ahead and introduce them while the little ones are still young, lil and impressionable? xP

Boars go through their teenage months between 4-14 months of age. Only then will you find out whether they are able to get on OK. Please be aware that boar trios have a less than 50% chance of working out at the best of times, and very little chance if you have mostly teenagers. You can try to bond them, but brace yourself for a likely split along the way. At the very worst, you can end up with three singles.

Your other option is to keep your older boar next door and then try to bond the more submissive of your boys with him if you have trouble with the two youngsters. Generally, boars work best in pairs.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Haha yeah, the more I read the more I realize that this trio might not pan out how I originally hoped. I guess I'll go ahead with it and just see what happens! Agent Nibbles (the elder) is pretty passive, so maybe that will help? Thanks for your advice! And more is still welcome. x)

Haha yeah, the more I read the more I realize that this trio might not pan out how I originally hoped. I guess I'll go ahead with it and just see what happens! Agent Nibbles (the elder) is pretty passive, so maybe that will help? Thanks for your advice! And more is still welcome. x)

It very much depends on the character combination; those dynamics are never something you can predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back