• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Timothy hay v the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

makeeachdaycount

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just been to Pets at Home to buy my weekly bags of Timothy hay and it got me thinking. I've been buying Timothy hay every week as I'd seen people on here talk about it but I was just wondering, why is this one so much better than the rest? Comparing it to their regular hay, it looks pretty much identical. I'm happy to pay extra if it has a big benefit to my pigs but it only seems to come in small bags so was wondering if buying a larger bag of the normal hay would be better. Is there a huge difference between Timothy hay and regular?

Timothy hay is very high in fibre for a good gut fibre as well as being full of nutrients

I buy this http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...jectPath=/Shops/BT3336/Products/Hay004Special

which is a mix of Timothy & Meadow
PSHay.jpg

I just received my order from Animal Magic Pet Supplies, part of which was 5 bags of their dust free hay. What a great buy and it looks great.

I give mine horse hay - they love it and its dust free. We get it from the farmer across the road. Smells nice too.

My boys love both Timothy and normal Hay. we usually put Timothy in the hay rack and the normal hay in the run for them to burrow in as well as eat. The Timothy hay usually smells better and is more green in colour so I wonder if it tastes nicer?

My lot love the 'seed ears' (if you know what I mean!) in Timothy Hay and the longer stands, but their favouite hay to eat is Oxbow Orchard Grass. It's quite expensive, but it's really green and smells sweet. They hay rack is always emptied when they have this :)

Alot if it is preference too though, as much as they love the Oxbow stuff, they'll still eat their bed rolleyes

Do you use this for bedding too? It's lovely and fresh (no dust either!) but isn't as soft as meadow hay. I just wondered what others think...

yeh i'd be interested to know this as well?

Hiya - I received a 4kg bag of the Oxbow Orchard Grass hay for my two piggies, from Animal Magic Supplies. :) They love it to bits. I had intended to order the Timothy hay aswellm but funds wouldn't allow it a few weeks ago, but I intend to order some at the end of this month.

I tried (well, my pigs did lol), the sample bags and these two were they're faves. :)

Well worth it, and excellent value from AMS.

Beth xx

The oxbow orchard grass from www.animalamagicpetsupplies.co.uk is what ours have gone mad for we bought it in a 4 sample pack, and they love both it and Timothy, they are not so interested in the Oat Hay

I used to feed just timothy, but these days I think a variety of different hays is probably best for both nutrition and their interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back