1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timothy Hay

Discussion in 'Food' started by Toots33, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hi,

Has anyone ordered any Timothy hay from Timothyhay.co.uk recently?

My pigs loved the last batch we ordered but just checked on their website and the hay they're currently sending out is not the same quality and they've reduced the price to reflect the difference.

They're kindly sending me a sample before I order anymore but just wondering if anyone has ordered any recently and if so, how you and your piggys have found it?

2. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

i got some last week,and mine have loved it.It is green,some stalky bits,and a few brown leaves,but not many.

3. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks for your reply, that's good news .

I've got two bladder pigs, one that had a stone removed and one with IC. This has been the only hay that hasn't triggered the IC on a regular basis so I was panicking about having to change it again :eek:

4. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

5. pnwgranny

pnwgranny Junior Guinea Pig

I am in the USA and get it from the local feed and grain and now they have grass hay in also.

PiggyOwner likes this.
  6. Dindypig

Dindypig Adult Guinea Pig

@Toots33 please update us on the quality of the sample. GPM has been buying their Timothy hay and Oat hay for a couple of years now and been very happy with it.
    It's not like the stuff sold in P@H etc but it's cheaper and you don't end up with half a bag of dust.

eileen likes this.
  7. JCJ

JCJ Junior Guinea Pig

I have bought hay from Timothyhay.co.uk since they put the notice on the website about the slightly lower quality. There is a visible difference - it's not as green as the hay I have had from them before and there don't seem to be as many seed heads. It still smells good although not quite as good as before. My pigs still tuck in eagerly but I am looking forward to when their hay is back up to their usual excellent standard.

8. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

Will do :). I'm hoping that it will still be better quality than some of the shop bought hay that I've experienced! When it arrives I'll post some pics and give you the piggy's verdict.

9. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks for letting me know. As long as the pigs still like it, that's all that mattters. I'll update everyone when I've received the sample

10. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

I haven't tried it as I was advised to stick with Timothy Hay because it's lower in calcium. However, I've just had a look at the link you posted and it does say that the orchard grass is low in calcium so I'll see what the sample of Timothy is like when it comes and if it's not great, I'll give the orchard grass a try. Thanks for your reply

PiggyOwner likes this.
  11. acapae

acapae Junior Guinea Pig

My PAH sells Alfalfa King brand timothy hay. I've not had a dust problem with it (indeed it was recommended on here). Is there any other difference between them? It sounds more like a bad batch of Alfalfa King tbh.

12. George and Max

George and Max Junior Guinea Pig

My last bale was as described above, less green, not as nice smelling but still smelt good, and my boys definitely aren't as keen. I've been shopping around for something different next time unfortunately

13. Beans&Toast

Forum Donator 2016/17

This is the only hay that my 2 loved. They ate every single bit! It was such good quality hay, very green and sweet smelling with lots of seed heads.

I've had a bag delivered since they've put the notice on their site about a change in quality and it really is very noticeable. It's very dry and yellow/brown with few seed heads. Neither Beans or Toast will eat it like the did with previous batches, they just have a slight nibble and rummage for seed heads, which there isn't a lot of.

I won't order again until it's back to how it was before, it's just getting wasted :(

14. oxtinamona

oxtinamona Junior Guinea Pig

I've ordered 10kg bag some 3 weeks ago from them and it was wonderful.. was as my 7 pretty much devoured whole bag already...

Try dustfreehay.co.uk if you have any doubts. Their hay is lovely too x

eileen and Toots33 like this.
  15. Toots33

Forum Donator 2016/17

IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

@Dindypig a picture of the hay sample I received and the guinea pigs tucking into it. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much difference between this one and my previous batch that I ordered in January. Hope that helps .

flowerfairy likes this.
  16. Piggy mum

Piggy mum Junior Guinea Pig

I haven't ordered any since New Years as I got a large batch from them last time. Tbh last summer they said it was a bad batch and it still looked great to me and the pigs loved it

eileen and Toots33 like this.