• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Timothy Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots33

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone ordered any Timothy hay from Timothyhay.co.uk recently?

My pigs loved the last batch we ordered but just checked on their website and the hay they're currently sending out is not the same quality and they've reduced the price to reflect the difference.

They're kindly sending me a sample before I order anymore but just wondering if anyone has ordered any recently and if so, how you and your piggys have found it?

i got some last week,and mine have loved it.It is green,some stalky bits,and a few brown leaves,but not many.

i got some last week,and mine have loved it.It is green,some stalky bits,and a few brown leaves,but not many.

Thanks for your reply, that's good news .

I've got two bladder pigs, one that had a stone removed and one with IC. This has been the only hay that hasn't triggered the IC on a regular basis so I was panicking about having to change it again :eek:

@Toots33 please update us on the quality of the sample. GPM has been buying their Timothy hay and Oat hay for a couple of years now and been very happy with it.
It's not like the stuff sold in P@H etc but it's cheaper and you don't end up with half a bag of dust.

I have bought hay from Timothyhay.co.uk since they put the notice on the website about the slightly lower quality. There is a visible difference - it's not as green as the hay I have had from them before and there don't seem to be as many seed heads. It still smells good although not quite as good as before. My pigs still tuck in eagerly but I am looking forward to when their hay is back up to their usual excellent standard.

@Toots33 please update us on the quality of the sample. GPM has been buying their Timothy hay and Oat hay for a couple of years now and been very happy with it.
It's not like the stuff sold in P@H etc but it's cheaper and you don't end up with half a bag of dust.

Will do :). I'm hoping that it will still be better quality than some of the shop bought hay that I've experienced! When it arrives I'll post some pics and give you the piggy's verdict.

I have bought hay from Timothyhay.co.uk since they put the notice on the website about the slightly lower quality. There is a visible difference - it's not as green as the hay I have had from them before and there don't seem to be as many seed heads. It still smells good although not quite as good as before. My pigs still tuck in eagerly but I am looking forward to when their hay is back up to their usual excellent standard.

Thanks for letting me know. As long as the pigs still like it, that's all that mattters. I'll update everyone when I've received the sample

I haven't tried it as I was advised to stick with Timothy Hay because it's lower in calcium. However, I've just had a look at the link you posted and it does say that the orchard grass is low in calcium so I'll see what the sample of Timothy is like when it comes and if it's not great, I'll give the orchard grass a try. Thanks for your reply

My PAH sells Alfalfa King brand timothy hay. I've not had a dust problem with it (indeed it was recommended on here). Is there any other difference between them? It sounds more like a bad batch of Alfalfa King tbh.

My last bale was as described above, less green, not as nice smelling but still smelt good, and my boys definitely aren't as keen. I've been shopping around for something different next time unfortunately

This is the only hay that my 2 loved. They ate every single bit! It was such good quality hay, very green and sweet smelling with lots of seed heads.

I've had a bag delivered since they've put the notice on their site about a change in quality and it really is very noticeable. It's very dry and yellow/brown with few seed heads. Neither Beans or Toast will eat it like the did with previous batches, they just have a slight nibble and rummage for seed heads, which there isn't a lot of.

I won't order again until it's back to how it was before, it's just getting wasted :(

Hi,

Has anyone ordered any Timothy hay from Timothyhay.co.uk recently?

My pigs loved the last batch we ordered but just checked on their website and the hay they're currently sending out is not the same quality and they've reduced the price to reflect the difference.

They're kindly sending me a sample before I order anymore but just wondering if anyone has ordered any recently and if so, how you and your piggys have found it?

I've ordered 10kg bag some 3 weeks ago from them and it was wonderful.. was as my 7 pretty much devoured whole bag already...

Try dustfreehay.co.uk if you have any doubts. Their hay is lovely too x

I haven't ordered any since New Years as I got a large batch from them last time. Tbh last summer they said it was a bad batch and it still looked great to me and the pigs loved it

I've recently ordered a bale from them and I can definitely see the difference in colour.Also seems quite dusty.My pigs still eat it but don't seem as enthusiastic about it as the last batch which was lovely and green.

I think sadly with, especially grown in UK there will not be guarantee that all orders will look the same all year round... all depends on summers, and ours aren't the best... depends what cut is it too...I don't think any UK farmer can guarantee green, gorgeous hay all year round and colour will change through the year, especially over winter... we just need to steal some sunshine from Oregon or Washington state in USA, to grow hay as gorgoues as theirs. I'm sure they won't mind hehehe :xd:

I've just received a new bale and it isn't the same as the other ones- the strands are very thin and not as green, but the pigs still seem to like it. Doesn't seem to have as many 'flowers' in it which is disappointing as the boys LOVE these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back