• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tiny little bugs in cage?

CocoAndOreo

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! It's been a little while since I posted anything related to housing sooo…. here it goes.
I've been noticing these little bugs in the guinea pig cage. They are grayish black and they are super small. After I noticed them, I started to clean the guinea pigs cage more often. Still, the bugs kept coming. I have no idea where they are coming from. They do not seem to be bothering the pigs.... and the pigs seem to be okay with the bugs. But I'm still worried.....
I have no idea what these bugs are..... And they are too small for me to take a picture of them. If anybody can suggest any ways I can get rid of them, it would be helpful.
Thanks!

Do you think it's because when it gets warmer there are a lot more small bugs that come out - like flys or small little beetles? I wouldn't worry if there aren't doing anything to the piggies but definitely keep an eye on it.

If they are tiny maggots or tiny fly’s then they are likely to be fruit flies. They lay their eggs on any vegetable matter and this can include poops as they are made up of veggie matter! The tiny maggots only eat veg matter so won’t bother your piggies, unlike blue bottles. Try and poop pick and remove any uneaten fruit or veg that’s not been eaten within a couple of hours.

You could try getting your veg from a different source in case you're buying with the eggs already there, just to rule it out

Do you think it's because when it gets warmer there are a lot more small bugs that come out - like flys or small little beetles? I wouldn't worry if there aren't doing anything to the piggies but definitely keep an eye on it.
It is getting warmer here, as I live in the US in the southeast. I don't think they are small beetles, but I am thinking that they are flies.

If they are tiny maggots or tiny fly’s then they are likely to be fruit flies. They lay their eggs on any vegetable matter and this can include poops as they are made up of veggie matter! The tiny maggots only eat veg matter so won’t bother your piggies, unlike blue bottles. Try and poop pick and remove any uneaten fruit or veg that’s not been eaten within a couple of hours.
Thank you for the tips! I really think that they are tiny flies now. I only have one question now: Do these flies hurt the guinea pigs?

Back