• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tiny Mabel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

Wasn't sure which section to post this in.

My girls are doing well and really getting used to being here now. I've noticed that Amber is noticeably getting larger and filling out, however Mabel is lagging behind a little.

I've tried weighing them but they're so energetic they won't even sit still for a bribe!
Mabel is always eating and doesn't get any less than Amber, in fact I think she gets more! She is the more active piggy so I'm wondering if it's that.

Can some piggies actually just generally be quite small?
Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

Aww! Yes of course some piggies can just be generally small.
My Lily used to be small, but now she is heavier than Lola!

Hello,

Wasn't sure which section to post this in.

My girls are doing well and really getting used to being here now. I've noticed that Amber is noticeably getting larger and filling out, however Mabel is lagging behind a little.

I've tried weighing them but they're so energetic they won't even sit still for a bribe!
Mabel is always eating and doesn't get any less than Amber, in fact I think she gets more! She is the more active piggy so I'm wondering if it's that.

Can some piggies actually just generally be quite small?
Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

You may want to read this thread here from our Daily Care section: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/

Please use the Care sections for any enquiries, as various people monitor sections they are experience in specifically, and the guinea pig chat just for that - chatting about your piggies. ;)

I have moved your thread for you.

As long as Mabel is eating well, happy and putting on weight I would not worry. Individual weights even between litter siblings can vary enormously.

As long as Mabel is eating well, happy and putting on weight I would not worry. Individual weights even between litter siblings can vary enormously.

Thank you. Yes she's eating well. I've just never had a pig as small as she is before. Everyone that sees her comments on how tiny she is. She's even got the nickname 'dinky pig' bless her.

Trixie was huge compared to Amber! For ages, then Trixie stopped growing and Amber caught up. Amber was the more confident one aswell and would be the one to come out first for food and stuff.
Like wiebke said just keep an eye on her weight aswell as you can! Even if you weigh a tub then put them in the tub to stop them from moving or a carrier then subtract the weight of the tub :) I use to have to do that with Amber.

PS: If you weigh a cardboard box filled with soft hay beforehand, you can weigh wiggly youngsters in it afterwards, and get the weight difference that way. ;)

These are both brilliant ideas. I'll weight them before they go back in after floor time :)

Sometimes some piggies are just smaller than the others. My three 'babies' are roughly the same age, Winnie is a monster in size, going to be a big girl. Lyza is a normal size for her age and Bess is diddly, teeny weeny.

I attempted to weigh them, but they were never planning to make it easy for me!

Amber I had no chance with. She's just really not in the mood for me tonight so I'll have to try her in the morning when she's most sleepy,

I managed to weigh Mabel at 700g though. There abouts anyway. Those few seconds she stood still :)

They are just over 4 months. Is this an okay weight?

Last edited:
I attempted to weigh them, but they were never planning to make it easy for me!

Amber I had no chance with. She's just really not in the mood for me tonight so I'll have to try her in the morning when she's most sleepy,

I managed to weigh Mabel at 700g though. There abouts anyway. Those few seconds she stood still :)

They are just over 4 months. Is this an okay weight?

That is a very good weight. Mabel won't reach adulthood until about 15 months old. Any weight over 800g is a good adult weight.
My energetic Nia never weighed more than a kilo; yet she still was a very successful top lady of the whole Tribe while her litter sister Nerys weighed up to over 1400g in her best times - but Nerys never wasted any calorie she could wrap herself around and always did her own thing (mainly eating and sleeping).

That is a very good weight. Mabel won't reach adulthood until about 15 months old. Any weight over 800g is a good adult weight.
My energetic Nia never weighed more than a kilo; yet she still was a very successful top lady of the whole Tribe while her litter sister Nerys weighed up to over 1400g in her best times - but Nerys never wasted any calorie she could wrap herself around and always did her own thing (mainly eating and sleeping).

Thank you so much for this. It's put my mind at rest.

You talk about tiny piggies only if they stay below 800g; a very few do, but still lead very happy normal lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back