• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tips for bonding

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So after we lost Loki and Stark was separated from Odin, I’m hoping to try Bond Thor and Stark. So far there’s been some circling of each other, some humping and some chattering.

what does everyone recommend? How long should I give them? What are the signs to watch out for to separate? Do they need a while to establish dominance?

many thanks for any advice

So after we lost Loki and Stark was separated from Odin, I’m hoping to try Bond Thor and Stark. So far there’s been some circling of each other, some humping and some chattering.

what does everyone recommend? How long should I give them? What are the signs to watch out for to separate? Do they need a while to establish dominance?

many thanks for any advice

Hi!

Please take the time to read our comprehensive illustrated step-by-step bonding guide, which takes you through all stages of the complex bonding guide and has also got a chapter on the special aspects of boar bonding. it contains all the detailed information you need to know: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

You can't bond boars in a series of dates. Once you have committed, you need to see through a bonding until it has either worked out or it fails. Every time you separate, your boys have to re-start the whole process right from square one - just with more frustration thrown in.
If in doubt, leave your boys in the neutral bonding area overnight and do not transfer to the cage until they have had some peacful naps together and are OK with each other when they are awake. Too quick a move to the cage will re-start the bonding.

Right now, the bonding is still within acceptable parameters, as you will see when reading the guide above.

Thank you.

they have been together a few hours now. We are still getting the occasional chase around and rumble strutting but less chattering.
they had a short nap next to each other and are both eating peacefully now (though at opposite ends of the play area).
they seem to be more tolerating each other than friends so far...

Thank you.

they have been together a few hours now. We are still getting the occasional chase around and rumble strutting but less chattering.
they had a short nap next to each other and are both eating peacefully now (though at opposite ends of the play area).
they seem to be more tolerating each other than friends so far...

Give them a bit more time to become more comfy with each other; enough so you can still see how they are settling into the normal cage later in the evening but it sounds like it is going well. The firmer the bond before transfer, the better they will make the transition and settle in together without triggering another full hierarchy sort-out. It's never worth rushing the intro on neutral ground. The more they can work out there, the less fuss or potential upset in the cage. ;)

But it is looking very good for your two! The very worst is now over. :tu:

They are eating together, sitting together... I would say tolerating each other rather than best of friends.
maybe being able to see and interact with each other through the bars for the last 11 months has helped.
It’s just still so hard for me to not see Loki in there 😔💔💔

They are eating together, sitting together... I would say tolerating each other rather than best of friends.
maybe being able to see and interact with each other through the bars for the last 11 months has helped.
It’s just still so hard for me to not see Loki in there 😔💔💔

Glad that they have gone together! It may take a few days for you and the boys getting used to the change and it may rather grow into a friendship rather than the great love - but it won't be any less valid for that.

I went through 'widows re-bonding' quite a few times over the last two or three years as my second Tribe generation gradually faded away. Knowing each other has definitely helped with acceptance in those cases where there hasn't been a previous fall-out, failed bonding or bad neighbourship.

Back