• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tips for rehoming?

HarviePanda

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So my guinea pigs recently had two litters. I’ve decided to rehome the dad and the only male pup. He’s now almost 4 weeks old, he’s been separated from mom at 3 weeks. I’ve started looking for a new home for them already. I’m gonna wait until the boy hits 6 weeks so he can gain some weight. Now, how do you deal with the anxiety of rehoming your pigs and how do you select the perfect home? I’ve had a man contact me, he wants two boars for his little kids. I’ve seen his posts on facebook about building a C&C cage, guinea pig food, fleece liners etc. He seems like a good person to give up my boys to, but also he said he owns reptiles including 4 snakes... I know you can’t read someone’s intentions, but I really don’t want them to end up as snake food. He said he’s gonna get back to me when he has their set up ready. It’s just so hard because I love my boys with all my heart and want the best for them. The anxiety is sometimes too much and I keep thinking maybe I should just keep them with me... Do you have any tips or previous experience with rehoming? I’d give them to a rescue, but unfortunately there’s none in my area. There’s DSPCA in Dublin, but they mostly deal with dogs and cats and don’t know how to care for small animals...

I likely wouldn’t let that man take them to be honest. He may have good intentions, but getting them for his children and having snakes would be a double red flag for me.

Another thing is to not give them away for free. Otherwise you won’t really know that their setup is right. You’ll just have to have faith in them.

Did you contact the DSPCA to see if they’d take them on? Are there any rescues a little further afield?

I was worried about the fact that the guinea pigs are meant for his kids as well... I just sent an email to DSPCA, hopefully they’ll be able to give me some options 😢

I likely wouldn’t let that man take them to be honest. He may have good intentions, but getting them for his children and having snakes would be a double red flag for me.

Another thing is to not give them away for free. Otherwise you won’t really know that their setup is right. You’ll just have to have faith in them.

Did you contact the DSPCA to see if they’d take them on? Are there any rescues a little further afield?

also a red flag for me, huge nope!

Go thru the same process rescues do. Get references, do a vet check, and research these people thoroughly. I would never adopt to someone who wants pigs for their kids. Adults only!

I would never re home to a family where the piggies are going to kids and I’d be wary about the fact he has snakes. Of course, he could be legitimate but I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking the risk

:agr: 100%, I wouldn’t rehome to a family who have snakes even if the piggies weren’t for the kids but that’s my overthinking brain

As someone who keeps piggies and a snake I'd like to say that you can keep and love both. Kids and piggies though I'm not so sure. The best way to stop them being snake food is to charge a fair price for them frozen rodents cost very little and if you need to live feed there are plenty of free/very cheap rodents available out there so £20 is probably enough to avoid being snake food. I'd also question what sort of snakes they are I have a corn snake that would definitely lose in a fight to my piggies (not that I even let them in the same room). Most snakes kept as pets wouldn't eat Guinea pigs so I wouldn't worry too much unless he keeps boas, reticulated pythons, Burmese pythons or anaconda.

The trouble is some large snake keepers actually like to feed their pets live rodents because they think they are allowing the snake to play out its natural instinct to catch its prey. I would feel very uneasy with rehoming a guinea pigs to anyone who has snakes. Guinea pigs can make wonderful pets for children provided children are well supervised and the parent is pro active and prepared to feed and care for them, it is the parents responsibility to maintain that commitment

Thank you for all the advice, I’m really grateful for this group :hug:I just received an email back from DSPCA and they told me they’d be able to take the piggies in when the shelter reopens on Sunday. I will still wait another two weeks until the baby is big enough

Thank you for all the advice, I’m really grateful for this group :hug:I just received an email back from DSPCA and they told me they’d be able to take the piggies in when the shelter reopens on Sunday. I will still wait another two weeks until the baby is big enough
Aw so glad you are sorted the DSPCA will get good owners for them x

Back