• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tips On Naming Your Guinea

CarlyCoolBeans

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two Guinea Pig boys. I got the last week and I am slowly working on taming them. One of them is more skittish than they other. Soon I would try using fresh veggies to tame them but i want to train them also to know their name. Only problem is I cant choose a name. Any tips that would help?

We chose bubbles for one because she is so bouncy small and full of energy. And we chose biscuit for the other because of her colour and because she is so sweet lol.

I have two Guinea Pig boys. I got the last week and I am slowly working on taming them. One of them is more skittish than they other. Soon I would try using fresh veggies to tame them but i want to train them also to know their name. Only problem is I cant choose a name. Any tips that would help?

You can either choose male first names, or go for a theme (sweets, music, film, anime/manga, favourite drinks or foods, sports people etc.) Choosing names deriving from the looks is generally popular, too.

Make a short list of your favourites and use them in turn over the course of a week. You will find that one name usually sticks by the end of the week. ;)

PS: My own guinea pigs have all Welsh names, but every name has a meaning that suits the guinea pig. ;)

A name usually comes into my head by the look of the piggie, Spike couldn't be anything other than Spike, he turned out to be Spike by looks and nature! But I said for ages if I ever had another pair of boars they would be Rumble and Grumble. Then along came Willow and Bracken who don't rumble or grumble very much at all so it didn't seem right. They were already named when I got them but they didn't suit their names, Willow jumped out at me straight away but Bracken took a while.Names will come to you as you get to know them.

Most of my guinea pigs keep their rescue names - but I decided to rename my boar. He was called "Mr Fish". He is now called Reuben.

Velvet is called Velvet cos that's what she feels like. Betsy is Betsy cos that's what she looks like. When I knew Meg was a girl she just HAD to be called Meg, Christian is Christian as he's several shades of grey (no other name really was there?) Dennis took the longest to name but his name suits him. If he had been a girl he would have been called Jean because his tricolouring is such that it looks like he's wearing white trousers.

Last edited:
My first Guinea pig was called Connie, I adopted a second and named her Eliza.

Since then, all my piggies have been named after the letter E and my husband has chosen the names :)

My fiance and I each picked out a name before we even met our piggies. I chose Dibbler because it's a character from a book series I love (Terry Pratchett), and I also thought it would sound adorable attached to a little guinea (It does!).

Fiance chose the name Ganon from the villain from the Legend of Zelda videogame series because he can turn into a giant pig. When we got them, we each chose one and gave them our name. And boy do they fit! Dibbler is an adorable little bubbly ball of fluff who wants to explore everything. And Ganon...well, Ganon's kind of a jerk (love him so!), so the villain name stuck more than we thought! We've taken to calling him King Ganon, because he's the only one who can figure out how to get onto the ledge in their cage, so we call it his throne.

Fiance picked out Ganon's name pretty easily, only mulling over a few others. I went through a whole list that I had to narrow down! I had a list of book characters, and a list of girl names if we decided on female piggies. Dibbler was almost Wicket, or Dart (short for D'Artagnan), Binky, and even after deciding on one I almost changed it to Tater Tot on the ride home!

Like other's have said, make a list and narrow it down from there. Looking back, nothing would have suited Dibbler quite as well, and it was the one that stuck out by the end of the week.

I like to keep the rescue names as far as possible though I like proper first names so when my latest boar was found to be called Jaffa Cake I had to rename him, despite how much I love both jaffa cakes and him! We called him Donald because he looks just like president Trumps hair piece :)) Daisy came with her name and when we got Willow we decided to stick with nature themed first names. The latest edition was called Pigz and is now Lily :))

I'm a proper loser so mine are named after obscure (ish) Harry Potter characters :))

I find you can't always name them til you get to know them, but I'm sure something will jump out at you :)

I put my kids in charge of naming (though I maintain veto power, because when he was much younger my son wanted to name one of our pigs X-Wing Fighter, and I just could not see myself having to take 'X-Wing Fighter' to the vet at some point without squirming with embarrassment!) Our first few names were more eclectic (we had Linney from Wonderpets, Frenzy from Transformers, and Sundae from... the frozen foods section, I guess!) After that the kids were older and more discerning in their choices, so we decided to go with sci-fi/horror names because we are geeks like that. So right now we have Hadley (named after the colony in the movie Aliens, Hadley's Hope) and Leela (from Futurama.) I like theme naming... my hedgehogs were all after spiky plants (we had Hawthorne, Bramble, and Thistle.) So I guess now we are onto another theme.

I'm a proper loser so mine are named after obscure (ish) Harry Potter characters :))

I find you can't always name them til you get to know them, but I'm sure something will jump out at you :)
I always noticed your pigs' names, you have a lot of Death Eaters among them! ;) Naughty piggies! LOL!

I literally hold the piggy and fire out as many names as possible that come to me at the minute. If the one comes out its usually clear and my mum or brother will try to think of more- which only cements that name in my head :lol!:

My first sow was going to be called:
Blue
But I settled on Vinnie the Guinea and it really suited her.

My first boar was going to be called:
Coco
But I found Mo was a much better option with the mohawk and all.

My newest boar was going to be called:
Sebastian or Bellamy (I will name a pair of piggies that at some point!)
But we decided on Steve because Sebastian and Bellamy suit a darker coloured piggy and it was a friend called Steve who had a great part in getting this second piggy.

The names will come to you don't worry. :)

I like older style regal(ish) names for my piggies. My 4 at the moment are all coincidentally Harry Potter themed... Albie (Albus), Percy (Percival), Remy (Remus) and Ollie (Ollivander). I've also had Eddie (Edward) and Mikey (Mikael). They all have the same sound at the end of their nicknames and I've also coincidentally again had 3 ending in IE and 3 ending in Y, so I guess that'll carry over for future pigs!

Back