• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

To neuter or not to neuter

HannahsHerd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently took my two guinea pigs to a new vet who told me they weren’t neutered! I adopted my guinea pugs from a second home 3 years ago who had told me they were all sterilized. Since then I had been taking them to a vet near me, I told them they had already been sterilized and they never corrected me. I recently changed vets because I felt like my old one wasn’t giving me good information. I guess it should be no suprise I was given misinformation about this too.
My guinea pigs are 4~ years old now, is it too late? They are both boys and they don’t fight in huge balls or hurt each other. They do chase one another around quite a bit and chatter a lot though. I had thought this was normal guinea pig behavior based on the information I was given. I want to give them the best life I can and I wonder if they would have a better friendship if they were neutered. They are older though and I don’t want to cause them unnecessary stress to them or their bodies.

I know this does not replace vet advice and the best thing is just to ask them. I have an appointment to talk with the vet soon, just looking for advice from fellow piggy owners. Thanks so much.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently took my two guinea pigs to a new vet who told me they weren’t neutered! I adopted my guinea pugs from a second home 3 years ago who had told me they were all sterilized. Since then I had been taking them to a vet near me, I told them they had already been sterilized and they never corrected me. I recently changed vets because I felt like my old one wasn’t giving me good information. I guess it should be no suprise I was given misinformation about this too.
My guinea pigs are 4~ years old now, is it too late? They are both boys and they don’t fight in huge balls or hurt each other. They do chase one another around quite a bit and chatter a lot though. I had thought this was normal guinea pig behavior based on the information I was given. I want to give them the best life I can and I wonder if they would have a better friendship if they were neutered. They are older though and I don’t want to cause them unnecessary stress to them or their bodies.

I know this does not replace vet advice and the best thing is just to ask them. I have an appointment to talk with the vet soon, just looking for advice from fellow piggy owners. Thanks so much.
Hi!

Poor you! We have got pictures of full and neutered boars in our sexing guide and also how a problem-free recovery runs in after a neutering operation, including how the anal sac that is stretched and extended between the descended testicles retracts again quite quickly after their removal. Sadly you can never quite go by what people tell you if you rehome privately.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

As to your boys; they are at an age where the testosterone output is starting to fizzle out anyway and they are more like sows in their old age - usually a lot more laid back. Although a full boar can never live with another sow, whatever the age, since guinea pigs of either gender never lose the ability to precreate.

The all time testosterone high is at 6 months in the middle of teenage; this is also the classic age for fall-outs and the most difficult age to bond and re-bond boars.

Since your boys are stably bonded and no longer quite young, neutering is not necessary. You may have to find another boarmate for company when one of them dies instead of a sow, that is all. But a growing number of rescues is now offering dating on adoption days or even residential bonding at the rescue in order to help single/bereaved piggies of any age find a new parter.
Rescue Locator (link to recommended and vetted good welfare standard rescues in some other countries below the UK map)

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since they are both boys, there is really no need to neuter. It doesn't change their behavior, it just keeps them from breeding. With two males, you don't need to be concerned about that. It seems like they are a well-bonded pair and there is really no benefit to neutering just because.