• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

To Neuter or not

Miss Molly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi please can I have some advise I have a 10 week old piggy who was neutered before I got him and at the same time I rescued a 3 year old and I’m now in a quandary as to if I should have the older one neutered too, this is as I’ve read articles on impaction and I don’t want him suffering later in life , if I go ahead will it upset the balance between the 2 piggies they get on really well the older one is such a gentle little soul, but the little one does a lot of rumble strutting and the older one ignores him! Any advise would be really appreciated.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi please can I have some advise I have a 10 week old piggy who was neutered before I got him and at the same time I rescued a 3 year old and I’m now in a quandary as to if I should have the older one neutered too, this is as I’ve read articles on impaction and I don’t want him suffering later in life , if I go ahead will it upset the balance between the 2 piggies they get on really well the older one is such a gentle little soul, but the little one does a lot of rumble strutting and the older one ignores him! Any advise would be really appreciated.
Hi!

It is your call.

Please be aware that only about 1 in 10 boars will experience impaction and that this includes neutered boars. They still get it; it is just because their anal sac is not as distended by fully descended testicles that impaction is usually not getting as bad. But you still need to clear out a sac in a neutered boar with stronger impaction.

This guide tells you what neutering really does and what it doesn't: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care