• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tobi's poorly tummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLuce86

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone

It's been quite a while since I posted on here. I posted last year about my piggies and their itchy skin problems. Thank you to everyone who suggested Gorgeous Guineas, my boys have been itch free since I started regularly bathing them in Manuka and Neem Shampoo.

We've had a traumatic couple of days in this piggy house. I'm typing quietly so as not to disturb my poorly boy Tobi who is camping in my room for the second night tonight. Yesterday I went in to the spare room where I keep my boys and found Tobi hunched up in his cage with his head down looking very sorry for himself. I was horrified when I picked him up to find diarrhoea running out of him! He was fine the night before eating his veggies and popcorning for his hay.

I rushed Tobi to the emergency vet who thought he was a very poorly boy and warned me he might not make it. He kept going on about how expensive the visit would be rolleyes. He gave Tobi anti biotics and a subcutaneous injection of fluids (not a happy boy!). My heart was breaking watching him having the needles stuck in him :( I came away with a weeks supply of Baytril but only two days of Science Recovery and Bio Lapis. I began syringe feeding him every couple of hours and went right through the night with him. To my relief in the early hours his poo started to get more shape to it and by 7am we had a little sausage! How pleased I was to see that poo! Today he has gradually picked up, eating a little hay and some nuggets and even trying a little water from his bottle. He's very quiet and tired - lots of yawning and curling up on his side. I think I might have got him through the worst but I'm so so worried about him. I spoke to the nurse at my own vets this afternoon and she was pleased with his progress. I couldn't bear to be without my baby.

Tonight he's still in with me so I am nearby if he's poorly. I'm feeding him Bio Lapis every 3 hours at the moment. He really hates the syringe and thankfully has been taking some Supreme Science nuggets mashed in water off a spoon. He seems to prefer that to his dry nuggets. If anyone has any extra advice for me I would be grateful. Am I doing the right thing?

The emergency vet did say he wasn't sure if he had something wrong with his back teeth but Tobi wasn't very happy with him looking in his mouth. He said to see how he goes with this and then take him to my own vet. Poor baby!

I'm exhausted but determined to keep going with my little man. I have lots of health problems myself and can only imagine how he must be feeling. Need to get some more Science Recovery and Bio Lapis tomorrow. I have read about Pro C probiotic too, is that worth a try instead / as well?

Tobi's worried mummy Lucy

I know Lucy we have already spoken by text but you are doing a great job Lucy,
I know you love Tobi to bits. He's a very lucky piggy to have a mummy like you.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can for Tobi.

Thank you! I just love him so so much!

Last edited:
Get some more Science Recovery.....this little piggie is alive because of your foresight and actions....well done!

But he is not "out of it" yet. n

The vet has given the "rescue meds"...these should last for two days...in the interim therefore, get as much "mush" down him via syringe as you can without jeopardising his breathing...ie don't panic...take it nice ad easy

Withdraw all greens/veggies.....feed mashed pellets andor Recovery.....and also feed unlimited hay. Also give fibreplex (probitic and fibre)..youneed to get his guts moving (an injectionof metoclopramide can help)

Good luc....any prbs/questions....PM me for my phone number

x

Thank you so much. I'll be on the case in the morning.

I'll see how much a few days supply is from vets for speed and then buy some more supreme recovery online and fibreplex. I want to keep some in the house anyway for future use if needed.

He's just had a good feed, lots of water and bio lapis (probiotic) from a syringe with little fuss. Munching his hay and eating his pellets a bit. He is eating his food in an odd way. Normally he has his paws up on the edge of the bowl and his head rummaging in the bowl. At the moment he picks one Burgess nugget out at a time. Puts it on the floor and eats it slowly. At least he's eating it and I did get some wheeking when he heard me in the kitchen. Good signs I think. I'm shattered though but it's worth it. I have hypoadrenalism and don't think my body is thanking me for being up all night. Ho hum, a piggy mum does what a piggy mum gotta do!
Lucy x

I am joining you in the "up in the middle of the night pet mummy" as my hamster is really poorly. He is from a rescue so I don't really know how old he is but he looks to be in old age.

Well my little man is improving by the day. I've been so so worried about him today because I had to leave him to go to work. He had lots of probiotic and Science Recovery before I went and I was so scared when I got home incase he had been really poorly again... instead I was met by wheeking and a cheeky nose in the air! There were lots of hard ish little sausages in his cage which is a big improvement although they seem smaller than usual. We had a big cuddle sitting on my bed and he crawled all over me sniffing and investigating before nuzzling in under my chin and telling me all about it in his little squeaky voice!

I've been watching him whilst checking my emails and he's been pottering around eating from his bowl and drinking from his bottle. The vet gave me another 5 days worth of Science Recovery and Protexin Bio Lapis today which I'll continue to give until I'm certain he's better and he's finished his anti-biotics. Things are looking a lot better for him now.

Does anyone know how much a 18mth old Teddy Boar should weigh? I've weighed Tobi for the first time today (I didn't realise I should be weighing him :( ) and he weighs 1.1kg I think... my scales aren't that great and he was wriggling around a lot but I thought it would be a rough guide.

I've weighed out his pellets so I can see how much he is eating in 24hrs. I've given him 50g and I'll see what he eats. He's not a happy boy right now as Alfie has just had celery and carrot and he heard me chopping in the kitchen and could smell it :( He has been a good boy and eaten lots of science recovery from a spoon tonight.

oops just seen the ideal weight ranges thread! Relieved my boy isn't too under weight but I'll weigh him daily for now as he does feel lighter than usual!

hi there glad that Tobi is eating. To be honest you need to think about what caused the diahorrea in the first place. If you think he may have problems with his teeth you should see a rodentologist or cavy savvy vet so they can look without anaesthetic. In the meantime you may be good to get some oral daktarin gel from the chemist - tell them it's for you. Not sure of the dose but Laura at guinea pig helpline would be able to help. Hope Tobi is feeling much better soon. You're doing really well hon x x x

Thank you! The veterinary nurse said to take him back when he's finished his anti biotics so I will get his teeth looked at then. I do already have daktarin oral gel at home - I'm immunosuppressed and often get oral thrush so there is always have some in the house. I noticed that I live near to the Strensall Battle Flats vets mentioned in the vets list on here so I might take him there if I can get someone to help me take him. He seems to be eating and drinking fine now. How would I know it was his teeth other than someone looking in his mouth? How do I find a rodentologist? Thank you so much. It's such a relief to be able to talk piggy with someone! People at work just don't understand what he means to me! Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back