• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Toby And Barney Take A Trip To The Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some of you might have seen the other thread about Barney and his cyst. Well I took him back to the vet to find out what I needed to do next as, a month on, the cyst is still producing white gunk. The vet has said the only options are to leave it alone and see what happens or to operate. So as Barney is very well and not showing any signs of illness I have decided to opt for the conservative 'watch and wait' option.

While we were there I asked the vet to look into Toby's ears as MrS mentioned that he saw Toby shaking his head a few times yesterday. All I can say is 'well done MrS' - Toby has an ear infection. Back out of the carrier came Barney and guess what? He has an ear infection as well. The vet said that it looked like chronic changes but there have been no signs of any discharge from their ears and they have been acting completely normally. Saying that we did start mentioning a few weeks ago that they didn't respond as quickly when we shouted them for treats.

The vet suspects that it might be caused by a mite but as the boys are not showing any other signs of mites he has given them ear drops (Canaural) and I have to apply 2 drops once a day for 14days and then go back for a check up. If the drops don't work the vet said he would then consider something on the back of their necks - began with an A but I cant remember what he said.

And he still maintains that they are too heavy!

Poor you, but great that you have caught the ear problem early on when it can be addressed without turning into a race for time. It's never ending, isn't it?

Oh I'm sorry that Barney's cyst has not resolved despite your hard work but based on my experience of Toffee dying under GA I would agree with your "watchful waiting" approach.
Regarding the ears - that is a shame, but I am sure that no owners are more observant than you and Mr S so do not beat yourself up about not noticing sooner. I have used canaural (I think on a dog though!) before and it has worked well. There are also other treatment options for ear mites. Get Well Soon! Barney and Toby :)

p.s. Why are vets so keen to remove sebaceous cysts in piggies, when in people the GP wont remove them? I have a small one the size of a pea on my back that itches and rubs on my bra strap, and I have asked several times if I can have it removed and just been told "no, we leave those alone"! yet the vet removed one from my old dog too. Maybe I should self-refer to the vet, LOL.

You should do that and then after the op you would wake up in a nice bad of fresh hay! lol!

I don't think the vet will remove it if it isn't getting big and nasty. I do expect it to grow in size now that I am not trying the contents out but so long as it doesn't get huge then that is ok. Good thing about going back for their ears to be checked is that the vet can also check the cyst again.

Poor you, but great that you have caught the ear problem early on when it can be addressed without turning into a race for time. It's never ending, isn't it?
I know - and I thought I had 2 very healthy, gorgeous boys with no problems! Fat, cystic and infected - not the cute image I have of piggies in my head! :yikes:

I know - and I thought I had 2 very healthy, gorgeous boys with no problems! Fat, cystic and infected - not the cute image I have of piggies in my head! :yikes:

It sadly isn't so often even with the best of care, but but you have still two gorgeous boys with an equally gorgous mummy! :)

Awww, poor lads, lots of healing vibes to your two boys, please keep us updated on them. Healing vibes being sent. You are both amazing piggy parents

I'm so sorry to hear this, you are going through your more than fair share of a tough time. :(
Sending vibes to the dangleberry kids. x

Aww bless them. Sending them vibes. Very well spotted with the head shaking! Brownie points for him! ;)

Well 2 weeks on and Toby & Barney have completed their course of ear drops. The head shaking continues so we are back at the vet on Thursday! What fresh hell are they going to have to endure next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back