• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Toffee's glaucoma

Toffee321

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

My 10yr old guinea pig Toffee has recently been diagnosed with glaucoma after her eye swelled up last week (she already has cataracts). Because of her age, the vet dose;t want to do surgery but she says if it swells up again, she will have to be put down. She is on pain relief (loxicom) and having lots of extra cuddles. How likely is it to swell up again and is there any thing else we can do to help her?

Hi,

My 10yr old guinea pig Toffee has recently been diagnosed with glaucoma after her eye swelled up last week (she already has cataracts). Because of her age, the vet dose;t want to do surgery but she says if it swells up again, she will have to be put down. She is on pain relief (loxicom) and having lots of extra cuddles. How likely is it to swell up again and is there any thing else we can do to help her?
Do not put to sleep.
Guinea pigs can live with one eye just fine. Its just the age that might be bad for a op. Is your vet a experienced guinea pig vet?

I'm tagging @Wiebke in. Sorry if your not up for answering much at the moment. I just dont know who else to tag.

If your vet wants to put your pig to sleep. In my opinion its better to die trying. Sorry it sounds harsh

I wouldn’t be putting a 10 year old guinea pig through enucleation surgery. I’d be managing the situation and as long as she wasn’t suffering, I wouldn’t be considering euthanasia. However, if she started to suffer, then it would be time to let her go

Just seems a shame thats all. I just thought. If the 10yr old had no other issues especially .Probably bad advice given. I just hate the letters p.t.s. i didnt know trying to manage the condition. was an option, until you said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back