Too much grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, as it was such a wonderful sunny day today our 3 boats who have never been on grass before were put out in their run. They loved it and ate sooooooo much grass. My question is, should i limit their grass intake? How much grass is too much? would they be ok in the run all day eating grass? Ok so that's 3 questions. They are 4 months old.
Looking forward to advise!
Sam

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At first you can just put them out for a couple of hours, and increase it everyday, and after a while they can be out there all day. :) As long as they don't get soft poo or anything then it should be fine.

shazbo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i usually leave mine out for an hour in their run but if i am out there as well they stop longer but when mine go out they are like little lawn mowers mine go mad then usually stop and just lie in grass so thats when i guess they had enough and bring them in

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
can I ask a question in this thread please? Apologies for hiacking but its connected.

A large part of my lawn is full of clover, which can be too much or too rich for some herbivores so I just wanted to check how piggies cope with clover and whether I have to limit their exposure to my clover patch.

Being ex farmer I know my grass is a large part meadow grass (the very best and most nutritious of all the grasses), there is rye grasses in it too, but I tend to re-seed with a mix of the hardier rye grass with the much greener meadow grass as I like the cover meadow grass achieves. Basically my lawn would be a brilliant grazing field (if rather small for sheep :)) ) so I am hoping my mixture of lush and hardy is the best for the girls when they get the chance to chomp on it.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Clover is OK on the whole; as you say it's quite rich, so I would let their digestion get used to the other grasses first and use the clover patch as an occasional treat. Your lawn sounds yummy!

It is good to remember that new grass is very rich and cause the odd tummy upset. Please make sure that your lawn is dry - damp, cold ground can cause UTI (urinary tract infection), especially in indoors piggies.

I have quite a bit of clover on my lawn and have never had any problems.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We usually have loads of clover in summer and it's never caused a problem. Just let them get used to it for a little while at first, and if it doesn't upset their tummies, then let them out for longer :)

All our clover :D
yyy305.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.