• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Too much veggies?

wafflesandcosmopiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I give my guinea pigs a cup of veggies per guinea pig every day. I went for a yearly checkup to the vet to make sure every pig is healthy, and the man said that I should only feed them veggies every other day. I am conflicted on what to do. He also said to never give bathes and that to just use a damp cloth. Which I saw no problem in because baths really scare piggies. Can anyone just let me know if the vet is speaking facts or not? Thanks.

Their main diet is hay but they do still need their veg each day to give them other nutrients. They can be fed one cup of veg per pig per day. Ensure you give leafy veg and a vit c rich veg each day . Keep fruit, high calcium veggies or high sugar veg such as carrots strictly limited to once per week only.

There are many useful guides on the forum containing key care information which you can browse through Guinea Pig Care & Information Guides

The diet guide is below
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Their main diet is hay but they do still need their veg each day to give them other nutrients. They can be fed one cup of veg per pig per day. Ensure you give leafy veg and a vit c rich veg each day . Keep fruit, high calcium veggies or high sugar veg such as carrots strictly limited to once per week only.

There are many useful guides on the forum containing key care information which you can browse through Guinea Pig Care & Information Guides

The diet guide is below
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Okay, thank you. I thought I was giving the right amount! I did a bunch of research on it whenever I first got my piggies and they all said a cup of mixed veggies per guinea pig once a day. Thanks again!

Can't remember if your piggies are babies? Was he thinking less veg because they are little?
He might have seen a lot of pigs with soft poops from too much veg and has thus changed what he says to people.

Can't remember if your piggies are babies? Was he thinking less veg because they are little?
He might have seen a lot of pigs with soft poops from too much veg and has thus changed what he says to people.
They are around 2 years old!:)

If you follow our diet guides linked above you won't go far wrong.
How did you come to be discussing bathing piggies with the vet?

That's fair enough isn't it. After 10 years of not bathing pigs I was looking at floofy Louise - my first long haired one - and feeling like a hair-care novice. And when there are a lot of products marketed as guinea-pig shampoos it can make you second guess yourself! We're sticking with not shampooing - she's happier with her rather choppy new look.

I have decided not to bathe! I occasionally take a damp wash cloth and wipe them down on floor times:) they actually seem to like it!

They don’t need a wipe unless they’re grubby. So it’s not something I’d do regularly either, unless needed.

I have a long haired piggie. . She's had couple little baths. . . Always if her time and we make it fun. . Use a sweet tub and I apologize for cleaning her bits . . Then towel lap time with treat. . Cuddle then she's back with her friend.

Back