• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tooth Abscess Treatment

adoptive mom

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My dear Simon had a CT today. An abscess in his jaw was discovered and drained. I wasn't allowed to bring him home. Per the vet, the tooth didn't move and surgery is necessary; there was talk of drilling from underneath to the tooth to get it to move then remove.

Has anyone had a tooth removed due to abscess?
What was the recovery time?
What did you do for care?

The vet we use, here at TEAS, deals with a lot of tooth root abscesses but he never removes the tooth, unless it has become loose, due to the abscess. How was the abscess drained?
The abscess was lanced. The vet tried to remove the tooth, but it broke off, which created a problem. It cost $600 for the CAT Scan. The infection had been destroying bone. 3 vets missed the infection.

Simon had surgery two days ago: The remainder of his tooth was removed along with the abscess and infection. Damaged bone was also removed. What is your vets name. It might help my vet to have someone to correspond with who has familiarity with least invasive dental work.

The vet practice TEAS uses is Simon maddock at the cat and rabbit care clinic in Northampton, uk. The antibiotic Zithromax is also often used to help with tooth root infections. I hope your piggy Simon is recovering well from his operation

Poor little guy! I've dealt with tooth root abscesses but never had a tooth removed. Generally the abscesses were drained through the skin of the cheek and were kept open to heal and treated with heavy-duty antibiotics. Did the vet mention doing followup on the tooth growing above (or below, depending on the affected tooth) the tooth that was removed? Without a tooth to wear against, it may require regular trims to keep it from overgrowing.

Thank you for the empathy. I received a call from the vet staff. They wondered when I was coming to see Simon, he's eating very little for them: he's four hours away. Yes, there was mention of maintaining the tooth above, but I was wondering about connecting our vet to the one used by TEAS. I'm very concerned about the use of anesthesia every 6 weeks on Simon's health and was hoping to find a better way for my little boy.

Back