• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tooth grown through the chin!

cheeseandpeas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok so I got a new piggy, he was being given away as his friend passed away leaving him lonely at just 18 months. I have a lonely older pig Broccolise and thought they'd help each other.

So I got him home and I checked him over, apart from being overweight he seemed ok, today though was the first time I've been able to see his underside. He has a massive inch long tooth coming out his chin! It doesn't seem to stop him drinking and certainly hasn't stopped him eating!
It's all healed up, but it can't be good having that there! I'm taking him to the vet in the morning, and will absolutely pay whatever is required to help him. I don't think the lady that gave him to us had any idea! Has anyone had experience of this?! What's his best option?

A quick update if you're interested, because I've not been on for ages and a lot has changed! So Cheese and Peas both passed away some time ago. Broccolise lives on in good health but had been a little lonely, he was ok over the winter indoors with us giving him lots of attention, but was lonely having gone out into the garden.
So I got him a friend Shrub. They are so cute together and are really starting to bond.

Ok so I got a new piggy, he was being given away as his friend passed away leaving him lonely at just 18 months. I have a lonely older pig Broccolise and thought they'd help each other.

So I got him home and I checked him over, apart from being overweight he seemed ok, today though was the first time I've been able to see his underside. He has a massive inch long tooth coming out his chin! It doesn't seem to stop him drinking and certainly hasn't stopped him eating!
It's all healed up, but it can't be good having that there! I'm taking him to the vet in the morning, and will absolutely pay whatever is required to help him. I don't think the lady that gave him to us had any idea! Has anyone had experience of this?! What's his best option?

A quick update if you're interested, because I've not been on for ages and a lot has changed! So Cheese and Peas both passed away some time ago. Broccolise lives on in good health but had been a little lonely, he was ok over the winter indoors with us giving him lots of attention, but was lonely having gone out into the garden.
So I got him a friend Shrub. They are so cute together and are really starting to bond.

Hi!

If you can get there at all (and you are thankfully not very far away), please have him seen at the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. They are by far the most dental savvy vets since they see dental piggies from all over the country as far as Edinburgh and do more dental procedures in a week than most vets see in their whole career. It is well worth it as you and your boy will be in the best hands possible.
The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic

Oh thank you, that's really good to know! I'll give them call. I feel like this is unusual!

I have had this vets recommended when Broccolise had teeth issues, I can't remember why we went with our local vet in the end!

Hope he managed to get sorted, sounds very peculiar. I second the Cat and Rabbit clinic.

Hope you can get it sorted.
It doesn’t sound very nice.
Sorry to hear that you lost Cheese and Peas

Oh the poor little chap, it's been an upsetting journey but he's well on the mend now. I took him to our local vet since I couldn't get to Northampton right away. She x-rayed him and it turns out he had broken his jaw at some time in his little life. He had not had medical attention for the break and it had set and healed upside down. His tooth was growing downwards out through his chin. How he must have suffered. 😞
It's been fully removed and she got out the bud. He's doing really well with his recovery. Sadly though, Broccolise (who just went into the vets as a companion to Shrub) passed away shortly after coming home through old age, we got to bring him home and he got to be on the grass one last time.
So Shrub is a bit sad by himself but I think happy to be rid of the tooth!

@cheeseandpeas It may have been heat stroke so please be careful in this awful hot weather.

Shrub will be so much happier now his teeth are sorted. He may struggle for a while with eating so keep and eye on him and step in if needed. But good work on getting him sorted.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your piggies.
But good news about Shrub, he must feel so much better.
Maybe in time you could take him piggy dating.
Hugs to you all.xx

Back