• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Torn Off Nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

My cute little Taffy pig's front nail has torn right off! I noticed last night that the top of the nail was a bit red, but she seemed perfectly fine so I left it alone. Tonight it was still looking red an wee bit swollen too, so I decided it would be best to wash her paw in warm salty water and cut the nail back a bit. She squirmed a bit during the cleaning, but when I tried to clip her nail she suddenly pulled right back an the whole nail came off. The clippers weren't even closed but the nail came off quite easily, it also must've been hurting her for her to pull back like that (she's normally fine during nail trimming).

I've washed it out again in warm salty water and made sure the cage is clean (bedded on fleece), however she must be in pain as she's not putting any pressure on her front leg. She does however still have a healthy appetite, and is still her cheery little self.

Do you think I should take her the vets or see how she goes?
image.jpg image.jpg

It's hard to see in the pics but the base of the nail is a deep red.

Attachments

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would take her to the vets just to get it checked and they may also give her some pain relief for a couple of days especially as she is reluctant to put weight on it.

rosie and bramble

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had this with a group of rescue girls who had been fighting. The vet gave a couple of days worth of AB's and some metecam, it's never grown back either x

Shauny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Eek, I suppose they are fine without a nail though. This one was a particularly clurly nail, that always was a bit of pain to clip.
Hopefully the vet will give some pain relief so she can be comfortable.

Shauny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Got back from the vet before, Baytril and Loxicom were given. Baytril is to be given 2 a day at a dose 0.36ml for 7 days. Loxicom to be given 1 day at a dose 1om for 3 days. All at a shocking cost of £115.86, little madam perked right up though after the lexicom pain relief was given

Shauny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm, now I don't know if this is just a coincidence but Taffys cage mate Coco has just had one of her front nails come off too.

Coco's nail just looked like it had compacted dirt/poop under it, so I was gently cleaning it out with a cotton bud and warm salty water. As I was doing this the nail pretty much fell off, very easily came off. She didn't flinch or anything, so i'm guessing it didn't cause her pain. No blood again this time either. Unlike Taffy, Coco is still walking on the foot fine and doesn't look like she's in any discomfort.

Could the 2 be related or is just a compelete coincidence that it has happened at the same time?

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would think it could be a coincidence, is there anything they could both have caught it on?

Shauny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The only thing I can think that it might be is the hay, I recently opened a new bag, from a new brand to what they usually have. The new hay isn't as soft as what they're used to. Could be that some had got stuck or poked them under the nail. Will keep an eye on them both.

P.s. Thanks for the replies also, I appreciate you taking the time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.