Towels for bedding

Camrynj6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right now I am using paper bedding, but I am thinking about switching to either towels or the vet bed stuff. What are the pros and cons of each and can someone explain what the vet bed actually is? Are they going to stink as soon as they go to the bathroom on it?

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would say you’d need something on top of the towel, like vet bed or fleece. Then the wee can soak down to the towel. If you use just towels it will be damp, and you don’t really want your piggies sitting on damp towels.

I use fleece and like it. I change it roughly every 4-5 days.

Leafy Lou

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes as Siikibam says, we also put a few layers of newspaper in under the towels, then you can shake everything on to the newspaper when it's cleaning days, fold and remove 😊

DougalandDiego

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right now I am using paper bedding, but I am thinking about switching to either towels or the vet bed stuff. What are the pros and cons of each and can someone explain what the vet bed actually is? Are they going to stink as soon as they go to the bathroom on it?
I have made my own fleece liners for the cage. I finished them today and put them in and my boars loved it! I made two so there is always a clean one to replace in the cage! It was quite easy and much cheaper than buying one! I found a YouTube video to follow! Let me know if you’d like the link! :)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
For those interested in trying fleece there is a good guide here:
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

If you aren't sure if it will work for you then start with the basic set up of an absorbent layer (towels are great for this) with a fleece blanket over the top to offer a dry surface for your piggies to live on.