• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Toys & Bedding Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP1881

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 girls like their toilet roll tubes & chew them. But I'm worried they might be actually swallowing the cardboard, so have taken them out for now.
Also gave them a small soft toy, no buttons, loose tassels, etc but Toffee started nibbling, so I took it away.
Newspaper balls I'm considering, too.

My main concern is, what if they actually swallow the card, newspaper, material? Is that unlikely?

I'm considering changing to fleece lined cage or vented. What if they eat that, too?! I'm guessing they won't, as so many of you have favoured this type of flooring, bedding.
If I buy ready made fleece bedding with absorbent material in the middle core, do I still need a bottom layer underneath?

Hello and welcome. I give my piggies cardboard tubes stuffed with hay as
A toy sometimes. They eat the cardboard too, I think that it's ok for them and will just pass through. I use cage liners for my cage I still put puppy pads under my liners just incase anything leaks through (piggies pee a lot)

Plain cardboard without ink is fine for them, it's good for their teeth to knaw on it and it just passes right through them. You can get nice coloured cardboard chubes that are animal safe, I think they use vegetable based dyes. Seagrass and willow toys are also a big hit just keep an eye on how worn they get, Katie got her head stuck in a toy a couple of days ago but I was supervising them thankfully.

Thanks Julie M and Harry&Lloyd for your advice. I bought a pack of 3 balls (willow, water having (?) & some other) which arrived today. Toffee & Fudge love them! I shall be returning the toilet roll tubes back to their cage now I'm reassured it just passes through them! Lol
They also have a large hay/cardboard tube to play with. The other night, Toffee was zooming in & out, round & round.....was hilarious!

The balls sound good, and they have willow which they like to chew so that's great! Mine like to chew the bendy stick bridge, which they also sleep under and climb on (and try to use as a means of escape if I put it too close to the side!). Aw your piggies sound very playful!

Thanks Jen H. They're more active in the evenings. Is that normal? They also have a wooden house, which they like to nibble & hide in. I've ordered a fleece blanket for lap time & a fleece bed. Amazon have some great offers atm!

If the balls have spaces in them you can also put some readigrass or hay in the middle and it keeps them occupied for ages trying to get I out. I hope I explained that so it made sense, lol.

Yes, thanks Harry&Lloyd! Lol I've threaded a small bit of hay through one of them. The holes aren't very big.

image.jpg Harry & lloyds willow ball, they've managed to get all the readigrass out though.

Please be carefull with the willow balls and throw them away if they get too worn. I've heard of a piggie getting it's head stuck in one. ;(

Yes Julie M, when I was looking at Boredom Busters, the day I bought Toffee & Fudge, there was a willow ball. But it had become unravelled, which concerned me. I bought the Hay Hidey tube/tunnel instead.
Last night, they had their new Chew n Chill mat & Bendy Stix, which they love, especially the mat! :)
We are handling them daily & they are gradually getting used to us & lap time. Seemed to enjoy it even more with their fleece bed. I'll try to upload a pic.

Thanks Jen H. They're more active in the evenings. Is that normal? They also have a wooden house, which they like to nibble & hide in. I've ordered a fleece blanket for lap time & a fleece bed. Amazon have some great offers atm!
Mine seem to have a few bursts of activity throughout the day followed by a big rest.

Toffee & Fudge are 15 weeks old :) They're my first guinea pigs since I was a teenager (I'm now 44!) & my first pets in over 27 years! I absolutely love them. They bring me so much joy!

Toffee & Fudge are 15 weeks old :) They're my first guinea pigs since I was a teenager (I'm now 44!) & my first pets in over 27 years! I absolutely love them. They bring me so much joy!
I'm a similar age to you and I definitely love our piggies more than the kids do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back