Transition To Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I initially bought my pigs some muesli because that's what my guinea pigs used to have when I was younger. However after reading some things on here I've decided to move them to nuggets so that they can't pick out the bits they want and leave others. I've started mixing in their old and new food but have discovered over the past few days that they are still picking out the good bits of muesli and leaving the new nuggets. Should I just not put any muesli in so they are forced to eat the nuggets or stick with it?

jenniferanneharris

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The idea is slowly reduce the nuggets. How long have you been transitioning over to nuggets? If only a few days - just give a sprinkle of muesli and 75/80 percent nuggets. If over a week i would do 95 percent nuggets a few days with a tiny sprinkle of muesli and then in a few days later cut out the muesli all together :). Usually the whole process takes 10-14 days for my piggies :)

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Transitions for dried food should be roughly over a month, reducing the muesli and increasing the nuggets.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try a slow transition, but not all piggies will play ball. The alternative is to go cold turkey; it has taken up to 3 weeks with a particularly stubborn older lady of mine that way (but necessary for her to live in a group). I would recommend to double the amount of vitamin C veg and herbs during that time.

I would also recommend to switch around/mix pellet varieties so your piggies don't get too particular. over the years I have been occasionally caught out by their current variety being out of stock.

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
You can try a slow transition, but not all piggies will play ball. The alternative is to go cold turkey; it has taken up to 3 weeks with a particularly stubborn older lady of mine that way (but necessary for her to live in a group). I would recommend to double the amount of vitamin C veg and herbs during that time.

I would also recommend to switch around/mix pellet varieties so your piggies don't get too particular. over the years I have been occasionally caught out by their current variety being out of stock.
I've learnt this lesson the hard way! Peanut Butter & Hazelnut have had the same dry food for over 3 years then the miller goes out of business just at the time PB got very ill too. A nightmare to keep up his weight due to illness & choosing not to eat the various new foods I tried. We went through 3 bags of critical care trying to fatten him up.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good advice thank you. I will keep mixing in a very small amount of muesli but will try cold turkey if nothing else works- good to know I can!

nicky

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't give up ,it took Edward ages to eat pellets. He loves them now

Status
Not open for further replies.