• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Transporting herd

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm having our four girls stay at a boarding place for a few days soon, and just had a thought - how will I transport all 4 together? It's around 25 minutes away, and when transporting them before, it was only to bring 2 at a time home from the rescue center, or to take to the vets, so we only own one small carrier at the moment.
Do I need a big pet carrier and have them all share the same one? Or would two smaller carriers, with them split into pairs, be suitable? They're going to stay at a lovely place with nice large space, but I don't want their fairly recent bonding to be disturbed by the trip there or back.
Thanks for any advice!

I had Meg & Christian bonded with Patsy while I was away on holiday. The carrier was too small for all 3 of them so the Rescue recommended a storage box with the lid off for the 2 hour journey home. It was lined with some fleece and hay, they had some snacks for on the way home (cucumber, green beans etc) and I put another fleece on the top so that they wouldn't jump out. We stopped halfway for some lunch and to check on them and also to let some fresh air into the box. All 3 piggies were fine after their trip.

I would try and transport them all together. Do you have a smaller cage you could use?
I've a 120/60 ferplast type cage, a large dog crate (only used as part of their run, not for dogs), or the small cat type carrier. I was wondering about the ferplast type cage going in the back seats of the car or in the van if it doesn't fit, then popping a pair at a time into the carrier at the boarding place.

They would be on top of each other. I would try and get something bigger really. I know it’s a short journey but that wouldn’t leave space for them to move around much.

PS your link doesn’t work. Did you mean this?

They would be on top of each other. I would try and get something bigger really. I know it’s a short journey but that wouldn’t leave space for them to move around much.

PS your link doesn’t work. Did you mean this?

Thanks, sorry - I never have much luck with adding links here 🤣 Yes, that's the one. I was suspecting that answer. That seems to be the largest I can find with a top opening door - within my price range. I see ones for hundreds, but I was looking for 50 to 70 pounds max if I can. I can see the following two, which have larger sizes and fairly reasonable prices, but unsure which size would suit 4. What size would you go for? Will try to add two links...
Karlie Transport Box - which doesn't have top opening door, but looks sturdy.
or
AmazonBasics Premium Folding Portable Soft Pet Crate - which has a top opening door, but is perhaps chewable so not as safe?
Thank you :-)

If you’re getting the second one i would go for the largest one. I know it’s expensive but the first one I would do large or the next size up. The first one should be okay. Fleece on the bottom with some hay should Do the trick. Remember you’ll likely get quite a lot of use out of it.

If you’re getting the second one i would go for the largest one. I know it’s expensive but the first one I would do large or the next size up. The first one should be okay. Fleece on the bottom with some hay should Do the trick. Remember you’ll likely get quite a lot of use out of it.
Thank you so much. Your advice is really helpful ❤️
I will go for the second one in large size I think. 🙏

my 3 came back from the rescue in a borrowed storage box :whistle: they were fine.... lined with newspaper, small fleece and hay

Back