• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Travel by car

Lala_asare

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.

Is it safe for GP’s to travel long distance via car?

I used to take one of mine out in the car when i was the passenger, the bumpy uk roads worked wonders for bloat. And my pig used to sit on my knee and look around, i did hold him and the windows were closed👍

I used to take one of mine out in the car when i was the passenger, the bumpy uk roads worked wonders for bloat. And my pig used to sit on my knee and look around, i did hold him and the windows were closed👍

Oh ok sounds good! But do you think long distance is ok? Travelling out of London in my car, it’s a good few hours drive.

It will be fine. Bess has been on car trips that were four hours long. as long as you give them lots of hay and watery veg to keep them hydrated. make sure they enjoy car rides before you take them on a long one.

Bill and Ted have been up to vets in Northampton via Yorkshire the other week and they slept most of the journey. We put them in a small cage with plenty of hay and veggies. They are very relaxed about it x

Last edited:
Wish you luck! (If you decide to do it)

Thank you. I’m defrocked travelling for Xmas to be with family up North. I’m not sure yet on wether to drive or go via train. Either way I’m taking my babies with me and just want them to be comfortable. Thank you Sophie.

Bill and Ted have been up to vets in Northampton via Yorkshire the other week and they slept most of the journey. We put them in a small cage with plenty of hay and veggies. They are very relaxed about it x

Aww bless! That’s reassuring, thank you.

It will be fine. Bess has been on car trips that were four hours long. as long as you give them lots of hay and watery veg to keep them hydrated. make sure they enjoy car rides before you take them on a long one.

Sounds good advise! Thank you.

One of the members on here (can't remember who now) borrowed my piggie travel basket to go all the way to Northampton to see Guinea Pig God Simon Maddox from Southampton to Northampton and back on one day (a round trip of 4 hours) and her piggies were fine.

One of the members on here (can't remember who now) borrowed my piggie travel basket to go all the way to Northampton to see Guinea Pig God Simon Maddox from Southampton to Northampton and back on one day (a round trip of 4 hours) and her piggies were fine.

Amazing! Thank you.

Thank you. I’m defrocked travelling for Xmas to be with family up North. I’m not sure yet on wether to drive or go via train. Either way I’m taking my babies with me and just want them to be comfortable. Thank you Sophie.
I took my 2 pigs on holiday with me to Cornwall on the train.The whole journey was between 9 and 10 hours including bus journeys and they were fine.I had hay in their carrier and cucumber for hydration.

I always wondered if I should give mine a joy-ride in my car. This will be for a fun activity around the block and back, not a visit to anywhere. I always wanted to do it but I didn't want to stress them out either.

I might try to go on a short joy-ride with them in my car.

I took my 2 pigs on holiday with me to Cornwall on the train.The whole journey was between 9 and 10 hours including bus journeys and they were fine.I had hay in their carrier and cucumber for hydration.

Great! Thanks

I always wondered if I should give mine a joy-ride in my car. This will be for a fun activity around the block and back, not a visit to anywhere. I always wanted to do it but I didn't want to stress them out either.

I might try to go on a short joy-ride with them in my car.

We’ve been out in the car to the vets every now and then but never a long ride on train or car. Should be an experience.

I have traveled with my guinea pigs quite a bit because I am currently living at college and travel about five hours home for holidays and such. As long as whatever they are travelling in has plenty of air flow so they do not overheat they should be okay. I also recommend giving them some cucumbers for the ride because they will not have access to water and these have a high water content. I also find that having something to feed on comforts my piggies.

I would travel by car if you can, at the moment, there are many disruptions with the rail network, either way they will be fine. I use hospital cage and cover with a sheet. I have a canvas fold up playpen 5ft dia to house them in, which is so easy to put up and down. Just put newspaper or puppy pads underneath and large fleece on top. You can get a couple of small boxes from supermarket once you are there for hideys if need be x

181956F0-2E66-4FDE-B0CB-9533ECDE251F.jpeg

I would travel by car if you can, at the moment, there are many disruptions with the rail network, either way they will be fine. I use hospital cage and cover with a sheet. I have a canvas fold up playpen 5ft dia to house them in, which is so easy to put up and down. Just put newspaper or puppy pads underneath and large fleece on top. You can get a couple of small boxes from supermarket once you are there for hideys if need be x

View attachment 101780
That’s great thank you

Back