• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Travel In A Bigger Carrier, Or Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steffie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

We are moving to Scotland next month, and will be on the road for about 6-8 hours. In addition to the pigs, we will be traveling with our two dogs as well, a 'wee' one, and a biggish one. The little one sits on the lap of the person not driving, and the big one typically in the back, not the back seat, but the space behind.

So, my question is what to transport the pigs in, and where to place the means of transportation. I have a nice and sturdy carrier, but I think it is too small for long distances, because they cannot really get away from each other in it, and they like their space, being boys: they might sometimes sleep near each other, but never share a small space in their hutch or outdoor run. And when we do travel with the small carrier, on the short distance to the vet, they bicker, which I do not want to escalate on a longer journey.

Do I buy a bigger carrier? Buy a plastic indoor run, and secure that in the car. The big dog can go on the back seat for instance, and the run could go in the back. Ideas, suggestions? We do for instance have a metal dog crate, the one with bars all around, that is bigger than my current carrier.

And I do not want to split them up, in a carrier of their own for instance.

Thanks very much! Steph.

Maybe you could use the run?
You would need to secure it too though with a netting of some sort to keep the pooches away.

The run I have is their outdoor run, currently indoors, but way too huge to put in the car, sorry, I should have specified that! But you are suggesting, I think, to be creative, and think beyond the typical carrier .... I have a large cardboard box that I might be able to get creative with ... As long as it is safe! Thanks Chief!

The run I have is their outdoor run, currently indoors, but way too huge to put in the car, sorry, I should have specified that! But you are suggesting, I think, to be creative, and think beyond the typical carrier .... I have a large cardboard box that I might be able to get creative with ... As long as it is safe! Thanks Chief!
The cardboard box should be good.

Careful with a cardboard box. Guinea Pigs do have a habit of chewing threw them. You could consider getting a small dog crate. Put some old floor covering (vinyl flooring etc) and fleece in the bottom. It would give them plenty of room for movement, food and drink but they would be secure. The crate could be useful in future for your dogs! I got one from internet cannot remember site may be Swell Pets but it was £29 delivered to door.
DOH just re read your thread. You have a dog crate already- just check that your piggies couldn't squeeze through the bars as some can be quite large gaps.

Please transport in the smallest carrier you can get away with. Having been in a car accident whilst taking a very sick piggy to the vets, there is no way he would've survived if he had been in anything larger as he would've got thrown across the carrier. I go cold when I see people transporting piggies in cages etc.

Your boys won't mind the small space as much as normal as they are in unfamiliar surroundings. if you are worried about fights and fall-outs, I would rather recommend to use two separate small carriers, but facing each other so they can see each other.

They will make up for it once they have settled into their new place. Please brace yourself for a renewal of dominance behaviour when they take over their new home (that also goes for the same cage, but in new surroundings).

Thanks guys, good points to consider that I had not thought of.

If they will have issues in our new home anyway, then separating them during the journey would not be that bad: I wanted to avoid it, to avoid them having issues getting back together again. They will go back into their hutch and run, which I have space for in my new study, but it will indeed be a different surroundings.

Will try and see which size bigger makes it that bit more spacious without risking them being thrown about, before considering separating them. And do a short practice run, I want to take them to the vet anyway, before we leave, for their nails , as she is very good with them.

And will for sure reconsider the cardboard,which is also very vulnerable in case of an accident.

Good luck with the move, I'm with everyone with a smaller carrier. I use cat carrier, I find them perfect for moving piggies about, warm safe and snug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back