• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Travel versus boarding

Oliver Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm a new owner of two rescue piggies. I'm planning ahead for our first week long vacation as pet owners. My options for the piggies are to take them with us on the 1.5 hour car ride, board them locally or bring them to a friend's house. Anything I should consider when deciding on the best option? I feel comfortable that the piggies would be safe and cared for in any of the options. Tips or thoughts on how comfortable they might be and the amount of preparations I would need for the different options would be helpful.

If you take them with you, you would need to consider the place you are going to, whether you can keep them at a constant and comfortable temperature, whether they will be safe. Will you have access to a vet should something happen? Piggies generally travel well though.

This guide may help you
Travelling with guinea pigs

Otherwise, if you are going to board them or leave them with a friend, then it’s ensuring the place they are going to is knowledgeable, has access to a vet.

You will want to ensure, whatever option you choose, that they are in an appropriately sized cage and it can be advisable to take soiled bedding. Piggies reestablish their hierarchy in a new environment, so by using soiled bedding in the cage they are going to, it will help them still see the environment as their own as it will still at least smell of them.

Another option is could they stay home and the friend pops in a couple of times a day? That’s what we do, I leave a long list of instructions and numbers for them.

Just jealous you get to go for hol... Holi... Holyway. How do you say the word when people leave their house and go somewhere far away and have a good time? :coat:
Holiday = "Trying to work over a poor internet connection at my parent's house while piggies wek for lettuce". I'm tired of my house, my parents are finally vaccinated, and we haven't seen them since the summer, so we are going to try a trip if the local travel restrictions are lifted soon. My parents haven't met the grand piggies yet either.

If you were to choose travel you would have to be well prepared to take the piggies. If you have a C and C, I would use leftover grids, a liner, a piece of cardboard and a towel to create a temporary C and C. Layer the cardboard, towel and liner and create a C and C with grids and connectors. This is my favorite travel/ temporary cage setup. The 1.5 hour drive shouldn’t be too hard on them if you have the right set up. My recommendation is to use a pet store guinea pig cage as these are typically small and not suitable for a permanent habitat they make excellent carriers. However, these are expensive for a carrier and are in the 30-45$ price range. I have found that you can get a lot of use in these for the years to come for vet visits etc. If not there are many acceptable ferret/ Cat If you choose to take the guinea pig with you in the car I would set up the cage with all the essentials hay, bedding or a towel, and a hidey. I would also pack critical care, extra water and hay, your guinea pig first aid kit and criticial care. Because anything could happen. If you want to take the piggies with you ask yourself these questions: Do you have a place to stay that allows pets? Are there other pets there that could be a potential threat to your piggies? Do you have a qualified Veterinarian nearby in case of an emergency? Any pet stores that you can go to with food your piggies like? Access to fresh veggies? Traveling can be very stressful for piggies so make sure that you are prepared for all possibilities.
As for boarding do you have a exotics vet that you go to/ trust? Many vets offer boarding and this a great and safe options for your piggies. Also local guinea pig shelters/ rescues often offer boarding. Perhaps look into a nearby shelter with good ratings, these shelters are well prepared for piggies and boarding here is often affordable and the money goes to a good cause. As for keeping them at a friends make sure the friend is prepared and educated about guinea pigs.
In conclusion, you have many options I recommend looking into to all of them and decidng what is best for you and your pets. Apologies if I rambled on I tend to do that. I think it is very wise and responsible that you are planning ahead. I hope this info helped! Enjoy your new pigs and your holiday and have safe travels! Feel free to follow up if you have further questions!

Hi

You may find this guide link here helpful as it offers more ideas: Travel & Holiday Guides

If you travel very regularly to a certain place where you can safely take your piggies with you, then they will get used to it. Not all holiday destinations will allow you you to bring your piggies. There are some great boarding services or good welfare standard rescues that offer boarding or you can look into certified pet sitting local agencies that will also look after small pets. Looking after pets at home makes it less stressful but they don't have anybody to be around much.

What I would be cautious about it a family member or friend who is not guinea pig keeping and is doing it only as a favour for you, as that can on occasionally go horribly wrong.

Back