• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Travelling 12hrs

Spicy.Meg

Junior Guinea Pig
In around 2 months i`m moving to Scotland ( I live in Devon now ) and it will be a 12 hour journey! Does anyone know what they should travel in as they will be in there a long time and need access to water. I`ve got two boars which can't be together and 4 girls which are fine with each other. My two boars and 2 of the girls are 6 months old so they're quite big, and my other two are 3 months old.

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2017/18
When we transport piggies we use cat carriers. Not too big as piggies feel safer snuggled up but you have to make sure they dont overheat. So it sounds as if you will need 2 small carriers and 1 large carrier. Alternatively you can buy cardboard pet carriers from pet stores or use deep cardboard boxes with air holes punched in.
Line the carrier with puppy pads or newspaper and lots of hay. Give them cucumber and juicy veg like lettuce or dandelion leaves during the journey and that will provide fluid. Water bottles just tend to leak. Some pigs won't eat when travelling so you will need to schedule a couple of stops and encourage them to eat.
Make sure they are shaded from direct sunlight. Use air conditioning if you have it. If not put cool packs in the carry case wrapped in a towel on hot days.
Never leave them in a hot car as they will die quickly from heat stroke.
Good luck with the move