• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Travelling on public transport

Winniepeg

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A dear friend has booked a four day break on the south coast in September. I’d normally jump at the chance for a break especially now as we all deserve one.

I suffer from anxiety which has got much worse during the pandemic. I live near Heathrow so I will need to use an overground train and tube around 8:30 in the morning and will be travelling alone Also I am anxious about eating out in case the utensils, cups etc are not cleaned properly

I am considering cancelling the break but also recognise that I must face my fears if I want to get my life back on track

I would be grateful for any advice/comments/experiences travelling

I haven’t been on public transport since before COVID started so my experience may not be relevant. I think you should consider the fact that they must clean the trains. Perhaps you could travel with a small amount of hand sanitiser, as long as you won’t go overboard. You can sanitise when you get on the train(s). Make sure you are distanced from others - I do this everywhere but unfortunately others make it hard for me sometimes. As for the underground, could you find a bus instead? I’ll admit I don’t like underground. I used to work in London but after an incident on an underground (I was pregnant), I stopped using it and found a bus alternative. I did use it about 2 years ago but felt really uncomfortable the whole time through. I distracted myself.

So after all that useless rambling, if you plan everything in your head/on paper then hopefully it will be a little easier to manage your anxiety. Perhaps also write down what about the journey makes you anxious? Could you drive down? Sorry I don’t know if you have a licence/car.

Thank you both for your advice. I’m so fed up with worrying about it. I’ve decided to cancel. ☹️.

I am so sorry you felt you had to cancel @Winniepeg . Anxiety is difficult at the best of times, COVID has made it a whole lot worse.
I've been worrying about going to my daughter's by train later in the month. Found out yesterday there are no trains between here and Wales for 5 weeks and Temple Meads station is going to be closed on and off for 8 weeks. I worried for nothing! Looks like I'm going to have to ask someone to give me a lift again. I really hate losing my independance and was hoping to get my confidence back.

I’m sorry you felt you had to cancel. Hopefully you can make the trip in future.

Sorry you had to cancel. Anxiety really messes things up. I use public transport a lot and I've had to throughout the pandemic. I usually take hand sanitizer and a pack of wipes to wipe down trays and armrests but I've stopped doing that now that I'm fully vaccinated.

Still take the time to get out and about though. Anxiety eats up your life if you feed it. Try and take a few small trips here and there so next time you're asked the anxiety gremlins don't talk for you.

I'm sorry you felt you had to cancel but things are uncertain at the moment so, usual anxiety levels aside, it is perfectly fine to feel anxious about the situation and potential to contract covid.

In terms of travel, I haven't used public transport. I use my car instead because I have that choice but from knowing people who have to get the bus it's being managed well with some seats being cordoned off to keep people socially distanced. I have eaten out though and really impressed with the places I have gone to for how they have managed the situation.

What I would say about cleaning is there is every incentive for restaurants to clean properly. People have to check in when eating somewhere so if their cleaning wasn't up to standard they would be having positive cases and lots of people would be getting told to self isolate from potential contact. It wouldn't take long for it to be linked to one business and word would spread, they would soon be out of business.

Before booking a trip away perhaps set yourself some smaller goals. Maybe using local public transport or going out for a meal near home so you can see what the current "normal" looks and feels like

I’ve used public transport numerous time during the pandemic, we live in south London and have found trains to be very quiet (apart from the train to Brighton when it was very hot) tubes were a little busier but nothing like pre covid times.
Like above try and take a small journey before to give it a test run and build your confidence, I hope you can find a way to go we all need a little break at the moment!

As for eating out. Most places will wash cutlery etc. In a dishwasher that will heat it up killing any germs. Also covid is mostly spread through air partials not surfaces so as long as you wear a mask and distance where possible your as safe as you can be and even if you get covid the chance of you being seriously ill is very low especially if you've been vaccinated. I know this may not help when the anxiety gremlins are whispering in your ear

Thank you everyone for your understanding and kind support. I was keen to go until the delta variant started increasing the number of cases again. It didn’t help to learn that Andrew Marr caught coronavirus after 2 Vaccines. I live alone and am terrified I’ll get sick and won’t be able to look after my piggies. ☹️. Hopefully we’ll all be in a better position soon

I work for a train company and although I can’t speak for all train companies, I know we have done a great deal to combat covid eg deep cleans, 2 stage disinfectant processes, regular touch point cleaning, seats socially distanced, masks reminders, mandatory reservations etc. The British Transport police have issued fines for non compliance with masks but most passengers have been great. The ventilation system also circulates fresh air - contrary to many myths. Our staff travel in the trains all the time obvs and their rates of covid infection have been very low which indicates that we are doing the right kind of things. If you look on the train companies website, that should explain the extra steps that are being taken. I hope that reassures you for when you are ready to try a trip - a small one at a quiet time of day sounds a good idea :)
I have used buses and trains all the way thru the pandemic as I hate driving (that’s my particular anxiety focus!) and have found them to be clean and quiet. But you need to be ready

Thank you everyone for your understanding and kind support. I was keen to go until the delta variant started increasing the number of cases again. It didn’t help to learn that Andrew Marr caught coronavirus after 2 Vaccines. I live alone and am terrified I’ll get sick and won’t be able to look after my piggies. ☹️. Hopefully we’ll all be in a better position soon
There will always be people that catch it after having the vaccine but you're highly unlikely to be seriously ill if you do and the rates of people needing hospitalisation is almost 0. If you get it it'll be like a bad cold at worst and you'll be able to look after the piggies just fine.

Back