• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Treats that don’t need to be refrigerated?

celestial

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey! My pigs get fresh fruit as an occasional treat but fruit doesn’t stay fresh for very long. I wanted to know if there’s any dry foods I can give them as treats? Especially for when I can’t get to the store for a few days.
I know you can buy treats at the pet store. I always check the ingredients first and I seriously can’t find anything that doesn’t contain stuff they aren’t supposed to eat! Are there any brands that sell guinea pig treats that are healthy?
I’ve heard some people give them raisins. I know they are high in sugar but are they ok if it’s very very occasional? Can they have other dried fruits as well? Banana chips, maybe freeze dried berries and the like?
I really don’t know. They can have fresh fruit so to me it follows that dried fruit would be fine as long as there are no added ingredients but I’m seeing a lot of conflicting information. Thanks everyone! :)

I wouldn't give mine raisins in fact it had never occurred to me to do so. The best treat is hay, hay, more hay, more more hay and more hay than that! Put a big pile in the middle of their cage/run and watch them enjoy it. They will hide in it and eat their way out, run through it, rootle their way through it for the best bits, flop down and sleep on and in it and when they wake up they will start playing all over again. :)

I wouldn't give mine raisins in fact it had never occurred to me to do so. The best treat is hay, hay, more hay, more more hay and more hay than that! Put a big pile in the middle of their cage/run and watch them enjoy it. They will hide in it and eat their way out, run through it, rootle their way through it for the best bits, flop down and sleep on and in it and when they wake up they will start playing all over again. :)
Hay is the one.

You have to be careful with dried fruit for humans as it is often sweetened. Pea flakes are a popular occasional treat with my piggies and can just be kept in a jar or plastic container. You can also give dried forage leaves such as birch, nettle and dandelion, but again not every day.

I use meadow hay from a farm in my cages but also buy a bag of 'posh' premium Timothy hay and give a handful of this everyday as treat.

Back