Trimming Nails

CuteCavies2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I normaly use guinea pig nail clippers however, i cant find them. I have seen some people use human nail clippers. Does anybody know anything about that? I would rather not buy new ones but I will if necessary. Any advice?

dabel101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Not an expert but i’ve trimmed their nails with both a human nail clipper and a pet clipped (scissor looking type), and i honestly much prefer the human ones! So i would think it’s ok to use human nail clippers☺
Again not an expert though! x

SquiglyPiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve never used human clippers as I find the shape of the pet clippers to be quite convenient so I can’t really compare, but I think you might as well give it a try! If it’s harder or you prefer the pet clippers, then you know what to do. I think it’s really up to you.

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've used human clippers that we got out of a Christmas Cracker and they worked out fine. There is more chance of splitting a thick old talon with these and I've found they work best clipping side-to-side rather than top-to-bottom if that makes sense. This also makes it a bit easier to keep your eye on the nail so you don't go too short. I prefer the pig clippers for George whose thick black claws grow in all directions these days - when they curl around it's hard to tell which way is up! He's very patient with me even if he doesn't always co-operate.

DinoFlower

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I perfer to use human ones! the ones I have for my guineas I cant see how much of their nail it will cut off as easily, so human ones are fine.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’ve used the little pet clippers for many years, they’re good because you get an ‘all round’ cut to the nail etc and can get it done quickly if you have a shy pig like my Aliona (until her madness this week with ovarian cysts anyway!).
But Cleo has special wonky little feet (toes are joined together so very close and I’d hurt her with usual pet clippers) so I’ve used human ones with her since she came, really like using them actually! Quick and easy with a wriggly baby! Just have to make sure you clip around so no sharp edges they could hurt themselves scratching with etc!

Annie's pets

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I normaly use guinea pig nail clippers however, i cant find them. I have seen some people use human nail clippers. Does anybody know anything about that? I would rather not buy new ones but I will if necessary. Any advice?
i used to use guibea pig nail clippers they worked best fro me and would cut best u CAN use human clippers i just find them a bit harder

Janee74

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone 😀 I bought baby nail clippers with a magnifying glass attached. I managed to trim the nails really well with them, as they only have a small cutting surface. They only took off a little bit and I could really see what I was doing. I couldn’t do it using the scissor type ones at all. I got mine from Amazon