• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

trio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitdan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is it better to get a pair or a trio of guinea pigs. would 2 of the trio gang up on the other one?

i know i would need atleast a 5ft hutch for a trio

Pair - Trios can be difficult. I've had two successful trio pairing and mainly failures.

Though, depending if you ment 3 boars or 3 sows? 3 boars I'd say a no no but 3 sows generally would tell you whether they hated each other within 30 mins and then they wouldn't argue again.

Neutered male and 2 sow pairings are common

they would all be babies and living together at time of purchase

trios can work but like us its kind of a pair and one could be left out.

so i would go for a pair.

you say at the time of purchase so i'm assuming your buying them, have you thought about rescueing a pair or trio?

trios can work but like us its kind of a pair and one could be left out.

so i would go for a pair.

you say at the time of purchase so i'm assuming your buying them, have you thought about rescueing a pair or trio?

yes. but i would like to get them from babies. and i saw some guineas being born at a local farm and they are going on sale at the weekend.

Ah well that makes them so much more deserving than the thousands of guinea pigs in the rescue centres then.

*edit* a trio or even a pair if boars may not work if they are all the same age, as they could fall out when they reach their "teenage" stage.

logoforum1.jpg

i have to agree with bailey, we are a pro rescue forum. how do you know that boys will be seperated at 3 weeks old, and that mum and dad were healthy. you could run into all sorts of problems.

and also as bailey said pairs and trios of boars can fall out once they hits hormones it doesnt matter if they are related or not.

Ok I think sometimes the strong feelings of people about rescue pigs can come across as harsh. What Bailey is trying to highlight now is how overrun rescues can be and just how breeders may be treating or even neglecting piggies.

Obviously I don't know if it is someone who is a breeder that you are intending to buy from but sometimes you will find breeders do not treat medical problems in their pigs and they may inbreed pigs and use the females for repeated births putting the pigs under extreme danger of illness and death.

A lot of people on here are very involved in rescues and trying to prevent the mistreatment of animals for financial gain which is what breeders and pet shops do.

I must admit before I joined here I didn't know much about rescues and naively discussed with my partner the oldest age we were willing to adopt a pig at. Turns out that while we did take a 2 year old we also got a 4 month old. There were even 2 week old pigs there that had been born in the rescue because the mother was brought in pregnant and they weren't ready to be separated from mum.

i put my piggies in the shed especially when we had all the snow. its more to prtect from rain wind and draughts etc. plus it was nicer to clean them out in the shed than in the cold and wet.

its is true. although some of the info is silly like putting guinea pigs in sheds in winter. My shed gets really cold and the cold stays in there unlike outside. mine will be ok with lots of bedding and a cover over the top of the hutch.

I'm still getting baby's from the farm.

It actually says...

If you can provide a shed that has heating

and have you thought that to some people it might not be silly? I know of a family which kept theirs outside all over the winter even during that bad snow towards the end of last year. Fortunately he survived and he now has a nice cage indoors... in my spare bedroom.

It actually says...

and have you thought that to some people it might not be silly? I know of a family which kept theirs outside all over the winter even during that bad snow towards the end of last year. Fortunately he survived and he now has a nice cage indoors... in my spare bedroom.

its much more stressful for the animal to move it around. my rabbits were outside in the snow

Welcome to TGPF Rabbitdan. As you can probably tell many members on the forum take piggy rescue very seriously, hence your decision to purchase pigs has ruffled some feathers. With so many piggies in rescue/foster care it is understandable why members are so anti shop/farm bought animals. Not all pigs in rescues are old, in fact many are youngsters who have been born in care so you would not necessarily have to take on an older piggy.

In answer to your question 2 or 3, either can work if they are all girls, if you want boys then I would stick with 2. We currently have a group of 4 living together quite happily (neutered boar and his 3 wivesx)), the key is to provide as much space as you can. I have never personally experienced problems with 3 pigs and have always worked on the basis that if I have 3 and lose 1 at least the piggies left behind will still have a friend. The minimum recommended size for a pair of piggies is 4'x2' so for 3 I would opt for 5' or 6' accommodation. Have a look on line for hutches, you generally get a better choice of size, the Happy Hutch Company do a good selection, here's a link http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/single-storey-rabbit-hutches.php. If they are to be housed indoors you can buy a ready made cage from a shop/on line, again go for the largest possible either a Ferplast 120 or one of the 150 cages now available, although these tend to be harder to find. Have a look on Zooplus, they currently have some cages on special offer http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage. Another option is to have a C&C cage (DIY job) the advantage is you can make the cage to fit the space you have available - have a look through some of the housing threads on the forum.

I do hope you will stick around, there is a wealth of information on the forum and some very knowledgeable members too. One thing I would stress if you do decide to go with the farm piggies is please double check the sex of the babies (again threads on here to show you how to do that) the last thing you want is to end up with lots more piggies than you bargained for! Boys should be removed from their mums/sisters at 3 weeks of age, so something else to bear in mind. This is another big plus of getting pigs through a reputable rescue, they will be properly sexed, health checked and you will have a life time of support.

Good luck with your decision.

Back to the original issue - get two and not three piggies! It depends very much on the character combination whether you will end up with a harmonious trio or an outsider, and you can't judge that with babies. Three piggies is the most difficult number of piggies to bond successfully.

Under no circumstances would I recommend getting three baby boars; they are much more likely than not bound to fall out when they hit the stroppy hormonal months between 4-12 months old. In the worst case you can end up with three single boars who will not live with each other. A 5ft hutch is what we recommend for two growing boars in any event, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back