• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Triplets Are Booked In For Neuter - Any Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendyhouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I've booked Bumble, Patch and Biscuit in for their op next Thursday at a recommended vets. I was wondering if anybody had any aftercare tips? I'm looking into getting some vet bed to keep them cosy afterwards and I don't know if I'll need some more soft beds. They have fleece liners but I want to keep them snug. I've dug out lots of old fleeces and towels for their cages. It's a long term plan, at the moment they all live in separate cages, we have two sows (their mum and aunt) so hopefully we can make some family units - but who really knows in guinea pig world! Any tips would be appreciated, forewarned is forearmed and I also have an anxious teenage daughter,

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw, wishing you and the lads a smooth time during and after their surgery. Vet bed is good stuff! Follow all the aftercare advice the vet gives you plus any from the wonderful folk on here. Remember to wait 6 weeks after their surgery before they meet any ladies! Fingers crossed, I am sure they are going to get tons of TLC from you all x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that all goes well for your three boys!

Here are some tips:

Preparation:
- please make sure that you have got everything ready to be able to hand feed and support the guts in case one of your boys is slow to start eating again after the operation or is suffering complications. This includes probiotics and if necessary, extra vitamin C to help boost the immune system.
You can find information for everything in our hand feeding guide: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/
Here is additional information: http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Post-op care:
- please ask your vet how soon after the operation your boys can have painkillers, in case you need to see an emergency vet. Ask the receptionist for the out-of-hours vet number, so you have it handy in case you are stressed out and in a panic in an emergency. Make sure that your mobile is loaded at all times.

- keep the boys on light vetbed, fleece, towels or cosies and switch daily or more often in the first couple of days until the wounds start knitting. They should have knitted fully between 10-14 days. There is the possibility of a little blood at first, but please see a vet if there is more or a continuous dribble of dresh blood.

- Check on them at least once during the first night to make sure that they are not pulling/gnawing on the operation wounds.

- make sure that they are all eating and drinking, and if not or not much, step in with hand feeding promptly round the clock; your care can make a real difference!
The poos are bound to look funny in the first 1-2 days after the op. If the eating is not going well, ask your vet for a gut stimulant as well as a painkiller. Some rough fibre in the form of brown cardboard or toilet roll inners is often welcome to help stabilise the guts after all the operation meds.

- weigh your boys daily at the same time in the feeding cycle for the first couple of weeks or until they are out of the woods; this helps you to keep an eye on the true food intake. Just watching your boys chewing on crud in the mouth can be deceptive.

When do you need to see vet:
- please see a vet or speak to one as soon as you find that one of the boys is lethargic or in pain (hunched up) or is not picking up after the op. Sadly, sometimes piggies can react rather badly to the anaesthetics.

- check your boys daily for swelling in the groin area; this is usually the sign of an abscess or - much more rarely - a hernia. Have him seen promptly.

- see a vet if a boy is suddenly losing his appetite; it is often a symptom for an infection in the body.

How long do you need to keep an eye on the groin area:
- problems can happen in the weeks and even months after a neutering operation, so please check the groin area at least once weekly or as soon as you notice a problem for 6 months after the operation.

Ideally, your boys will just pick up where they have left off, but unfortunately, it doesn't always happen. However, I sincerely hope that you and your boys have all an easy ride and a very happy-ever-after!

wendyhouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
To update - the boys were neutered on Thursday. All went well and fingers crossed they are on the road to recovery they are eating well and pooping and peeing although not as wheeky, but I guess that's to be expected after what they have been through.

A big thanks for all the advice I felt well prepared and knew what to expect when I collected them from the vets.

thanks again

Wendy

wendyhouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One week on and fingers still firmly crossed all is well. We are definitely getting more cuddles out of Bumble and Biscuit, instead of them running off to explore, little Patch would have cuddles 24/7 if he could ☺. Bumble has even started to lie on his side and stick his leg out, it's very cute!

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good news, 5 weeks to go exciting. Do keep an eye for any swelling but hopefully all 3 are going to sail though with no complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.