• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Trouble Introducing New Pig To Herd - Bully

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 3 sets of female guinea pigs - 4 girls in a 24x60" cage, 2 in a 24x60" cage, and 4 in a 60" cage. I just adopted an older (4 yrs) rescue pig who is very sweet. I introduced her to the set of 2 girls since they have the most space but they hate her and one attacked her. These 2 are alone since they have attacked every new pig i have tried to introduce them to so not a complete surprise. So right now i have the cage divided so the new girl can have company but not be hurt.
I am wondering if it would be better to:

1) Leave her in this divided situation with girls who are mean to her in the adjoining space
2) Try to bond her with one of the sets of 4 so she actually has a herd and isn't alone, but that would be a bit more crowded as there would be 5 in a 24x60" space.

I should add that in the sets of 4 - one set has a 3 month old, 1 year old, (2) 4 year olds, the other 4-some has (2) 1 year olds, 2 year old, and a 5 year old. This second set we call the land of misfit pigs as they are all pigs rejected by their herds but love each other.
Any opinions? Thanks!

It is worth trying to introduce her to one of your other groups, but I would do so slowly; ideally one where she is not too badly challenged. Your new girl is likely very shaken from her experience and will be very defensive upon introduction. It has taken me a up to a month after a failed intro to settle a new girl in another group.

That's great advice because the new girl wasn't the problem, it was my two girls who were the problem.

Did you try to introduce her by taking the pigs out of their cage and putting them in neutral territory? I find that if I do that first they seem to be ok. In worst case scenario I once had a new pig that tried to attack my existing ones so I put her in a cage next to them and a few days later she was fine. But generally I've had no problems with introducing them as long as they don't enter the existing piggy territory first

Did you try to introduce her by taking the pigs out of their cage and putting them in neutral territory? I find that if I do that first they seem to be ok. In worst case scenario I once had a new pig that tried to attack my existing ones so I put her in a cage next to them and a few days later she was fine. But generally I've had no problems with introducing them as long as they don't enter the existing piggy territory first
I did introduce them outside the cages first in a neutral playpen and had a few red flags. But i just took the new girl to the vet today and the cysts that abscessed which supposedly healed before going up for adoption are infected and so she goes back tomorrow to remove them. So that could also be part of the problem with the introduction. Right now she is co-caged with the two girls so they can see / sniff but not get to each other. They have been co-caged now for 10 days and there is no sign of aggression towards her.
I think after Dotty has healed from her surgery i will have more supervised playdates with the three to see if they can live together.

Poor girl! I hope that as she is better and also more used to her neighbours that intros will be more promising. Take your time with intros on neutral ground, in case you have to work past any fear-aggression issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back