• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Trying to find what one of my girls is allergic to....

Charlie95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Newcastle, UK (Just moved up from Sheffield, UK)
So hi guys,

I have 3 beautiful girls, all the picture of health, except for Noodle who must be allergic to something. She's 2 years old i've had her a year and a half and she's had this allergy pretty much as far back as i can remember. When i got her she was very sick (fungal infection, which was treated successfully by a vet and medication) she was also very skinny and was briefly syringe fed until she got her appetite back, she's now a healthy weight. Anyway nice then she has had 2 standard check ups and a new vet visit so i have a second opinion both are vets recommended by the forum and very guinea pig savvy (the first of which performed surgery to remove a large tumour from one of my girls sides and to whom i am very very grateful). Anyway, both vets have told me she is in perfect health and that it is likely an allergy, they also asked me if i had pine shavings (I use fleece), then they suggested i try swapping hay (I have, i am now on my 3 brand - tried 2 timothy hays, one meadow hay), I have also tried changing the pellets (to one not containing mint or blackcurrants) still no luck. Now i'm just tearing my hair out...
She has watery eyes (not crusty, and she's had her eyes checked too) and sneezes frequently otherwise she is perfectly fine, still eats, sleeps and poops like a trooper, I just hate the thought of her being uncomfortable.

Not sure all the info is helpful, just wanted to give as much info that might be useful as possible.

Could it be the heat in your house as I’ve heard that radiator heat can cause problems in some pigs? Or do you have a dehumidifier or scented things around the house?

I had the same problem with my boar except he was hooting too but a visit to the vets came back clear. We swapped from wood shavings to easi bed but we still had the problem. It turned out to be the hay! We’re now back to wood shavings and their usual hay and have had no problems for 3 years

I never thought about the heat! I'll give that a go, thanks for the advice! Especially since she's got the thickest coat I've ever seen on a pig.

It can't be scents really as I'm allergic to most of them myself so i always avoid having them around.

No dehumidifier (checked the humidity in their room it's 50-55% (it doesnt get much lower than that where I live)

So hi guys,

I have 3 beautiful girls, all the picture of health, except for Noodle who must be allergic to something. She's 2 years old i've had her a year and a half and she's had this allergy pretty much as far back as i can remember. When i got her she was very sick (fungal infection, which was treated successfully by a vet and medication) she was also very skinny and was briefly syringe fed until she got her appetite back, she's now a healthy weight. Anyway nice then she has had 2 standard check ups and a new vet visit so i have a second opinion both are vets recommended by the forum and very guinea pig savvy (the first of which performed surgery to remove a large tumour from one of my girls sides and to whom i am very very grateful). Anyway, both vets have told me she is in perfect health and that it is likely an allergy, they also asked me if i had pine shavings (I use fleece), then they suggested i try swapping hay (I have, i am now on my 3 brand - tried 2 timothy hays, one meadow hay), I have also tried changing the pellets (to one not containing mint or blackcurrants) still no luck. Now i'm just tearing my hair out...
She has watery eyes (not crusty, and she's had her eyes checked too) and sneezes frequently otherwise she is perfectly fine, still eats, sleeps and poops like a trooper, I just hate the thought of her being uncomfortable.

Not sure all the info is helpful, just wanted to give as much info that might be useful as possible.

Have you considered air fresheners, scent sticks, human perfumed skin products, perfumed washing powder?

Please be aware that some guinea pigs (thankfully not too many) can be incredibly sensitive about hay and house dust or pollen. I have come across people who have dampened and dried their hay or even frozen it in their desperation.

Finding out what triggers an allergy can be extremely difficult and tedious unfortunately. It is a very slow process of elimination and a figuring out what works and what not. :(

Thanks for the advice, neither me or my partner use anything scented or have air fresheners or anything similar in the house...I will try switching my soap though on the off chance. Do you think it's worth trying not giving different veg to see if this has an effect?

Freezing hay? Did that help?

So hi guys,

I had an old boar like this. I think it turned out to be chronic rhinitis or some permanent damage to his nasal passage somwhere. Did EVERYTHING i could to treat it,but just came right back. He would sneeze loads and have a snotty nose and one runny eye. He lived to 6. I rescued him and he already had this condition

Back