Two doms...

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I took Marble to the vet to get meds for an upper repository infenction and I was also getting my pig jinx from staying there after a week. I have 3 boars (yes, I’m aware it’s a bad mix and I’m going to deal with it soon.) and cinnamon is the dom. But I think I made the mistake of putting jinx in the same carrier as marble when returning home... and now marble and cinnamon are humping him... and trying to hump eachother and failing. Is there anything I could/should do?

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They’ve been chasing and squeaking and going crazy since we arrived home. I’ve given them some fresh veggies to calm them down but I’m sure once hey finish their snack they’ll go right back to tormenting little jinx. I’m also wondering if I should separate jinx for now because he’s recovering from being sick.

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Humping is part of the dominance behaviour. They’re probably just re-establishing the hierarchy since he’s been away. I’m not sure about separating him...are they in a neutral area or back in their cage?

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Humping is part of the dominance behaviour. They’re probably just re-establishing the hierarchy since he’s been away. I’m not sure about separating him...are they in a neutral area or back in their cage?
Back in their cage

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm. Have they calmed down now? I’d possibly separate them for now. But I don’t want to give the wrong advise. I’ll tag @Wiebke for the best advise in the morning.

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm. Have they calmed down now? I’d possibly separate them for now. But I don’t want to give the wrong advise. I’ll tag @Wiebke for the best advise in the morning.
I haven’t separated because they’re calming down and to be very honest I don’t want to seperate them unless I see chattering and them trying to actually hurt eachother. Right now it’s just boys being boys... but yes thank you!

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
UPDATE: had to seperate them... Jinx got boar glue all over him. My mom is VERY upset and agreed to start paying me allowance for extra chores and I’m going to save up and buy another’s cage for two guinea pigs get Jinx neutered and get a sow.

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think working towards having 2 pairs of guinea pigs sounds like a very sensible plan :). How close would you plan on having your two cages? Its worth just keeping in mind that a sow in season will spread her pheromones widely - if Marble and Cinnamon are in the same room & level as Jinx and his wifelet there's a high chance they'll smell her and get frustrated that they can't get to her, which may result in them fighting between themselves. (I _think_ you stand a decent chance if the sow is lower, but check that out before you decide)

Can I ask, though, what it was that got your Mom so upset? Please be aware that even neutered boars still hump and produce boar glue. It's all perfectly natural and whilst not all boars do it its certainly not unusual or unexpected behaviour.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You may find this information guide about neutered boars helpful: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts

Boar glue is just excess semen; it can be a bit gross when you come across the remains of a full-on humping orgy but it is not a reason for separation in itself unless the humping spree has led to a fight.
Boar glue is most prolific in boars around 6 months (neutered and intact). Later on, you just get the occasional glue bit and usually not as much. But I have found boar glue on the noses of sows living with an adult neutered boar...
Just cut off as much as you can and wait for the rest to come off on its own.

Please be aware that you need to keep established boar pairs out of the range of female pheromones when sows come into season; it can cause fall-outs even in adult pairs. Single boars and mixed pairs can live next to sows, but not already existing boar pairs.

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think working towards having 2 pairs of guinea pigs sounds like a very sensible plan :). How close would you plan on having your two cages? Its worth just keeping in mind that a sow in season will spread her pheromones widely - if Marble and Cinnamon are in the same room & level as Jinx and his wifelet there's a high chance they'll smell her and get frustrated that they can't get to her, which may result in them fighting between themselves. (I _think_ you stand a decent chance if the sow is lower, but check that out before you decide)

Can I ask, though, what it was that got your Mom so upset? Please be aware that even neutered boars still hump and produce boar glue. It's all perfectly natural and whilst not all boars do it its certainly not unusual or unexpected behaviour.
She was upset because Jinx has just recovered from an upper respitory infection and we might even have to take him back because his breathing is still a little strange sounding, and the boys have just been chasing him and humping him and she says she doesn’t want him stressed out. She’s also frustrated that we couldn’t get all of the boar glue off. :/

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You may find this information guide about neutered boars helpful: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts

Boar glue is just excess semen; it can be a bit gross when you come across the remains of a full-on humping orgy but it is not a reason for separation in itself unless the humping spree has led to a fight.
Boar glue is most prolific in boars around 6 months (neutered and intact). Later on, you just get the occasional glue bit and usually not as much. But I have found boar glue on the noses of sows living with an adult neutered boar...
Just cut off as much as you can and wait for the rest to come off on its own.

Please be aware that you need to keep established boar pairs out of the range of female pheromones when sows come into season; it can cause fall-outs even in adult pairs. Single boars and mixed pairs can live next to sows, but not already existing boar pairs.
Yes I’m thinking of the table method or having them on completely different sides of the room.