Two fighting guinea pigs

4guineamom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey there so I have 4 guinea pigs and I bought a pair back in October (Napoleon) (Elton) both American. When I first got them Napoleon was the dominant one and now we have two absynians (atlas) and (hades) the absynians don’t fight what so ever but Napoleon has been biting Elton a lot on his butt, and now when they see each other a complete fight breaks out and Napoleon won’t stop chattering for hours while Elton looks like he’s in shock, so how do I stop them from fighting each other without having to separate them or possibly rehoming Napoleon?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I note you say four - are all four male and are all four living in the same cage?

If so, then that is a recipe for disaster. Adding two more boars (in this case atlas and hades) to an already bonded pair of boars (napoleon and Elton), will break bonds and cause fights. You simply cannot keep more than two boars together, they must live in pairs only, otherwise they will fight.

You are going to have to separate them now fights have occurred, you are going to need three separate cages from now on.
- Hades and Atlas, if they are getting on ok, can remain together in a cage measuring 180x60cm which is the recommended size for a boar pair.
- Napoleon will need to live in a cage by himself measuring 120x60cm as a minimum
- Elton will need to live in a cage by himself measuring 120x60cm as a minimum

You cannot leave Elton in with Hades and Atlas as that will also cause fights.

The cage for each of Napoleon and Elton will need to be kept side by side so they can interact through the bars to stop loneliness

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
While I have nothing further to add regarding the incompatibility of 4 boars, I wanted to say,I love their names 😂 I was overruled and not allowed to rename our rescue pigs, I love Hades and Atlas.