Two males not bonding

Clare sturdy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I wondered if anyone had experience of two males living together, one castrated and the other not.
Is this possible, do they bond..?
I'm having issues with bonding. The intact male is mounting the castrated one. And they are now facing up to each other.. teeth chattering.
(with dogs I understand that the castrated dog can smell like a bitch in heat, is this the same with guinea pigs?). Any advice gratefully received

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I wondered if anyone had experience of two males living together, one castrated and the other not.
Is this possible, do they bond..?
I'm having issues with bonding. The intact male is mounting the castrated one. And they are now facing up to each other.. teeth chattering.
(with dogs I understand that the castrated dog can smell like a bitch in heat, is this the same with guinea pigs?). Any advice gratefully received
Hi!

It is perfectly possible for full and neutered boars to be bonded; I had two temporary boar couples like that until the junior partner was old enough for the neutering operation).

The crucial point in any bonding is mutual liking and a personality match and that has nothing to with the presence or absence of their testicles but everything with her character and outlook (i.e. how dominant they are and whether one is willing to accede leadership to the other). It stands and falls with that.

PLEASE take the time to carefully read our bonding guide, which takes you step by step through all stages, behaviours a, dynamics and special aspects of the complex bonding process. Mounting and rumble-strutting are normal measuring up and bonding behaviours in boars. With theeth chattering it depends on whether it is low or very strong.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Because it all relies on that crucial personality match, there is no magic wand measure that will make piggies bond that don't want to be together. If you do a home bonding on spec, you will always have to have a plan B in reserve in case the bonding is not coming off.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum x
Hoping your boys will settle down and be companions for each other