• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Two Tiered Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloegabrielle_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two guinea pigs (both female) currently in a small one tier hutch. They have an outside run too which they go in whenever i'm not at work and if the weather is nice. I have just purchased a two tier hutch for them so they have more space to run and dig while i'm out. The ramp is removable and you can shut them in the top tier at night (for obvious safety reasons). I have heard a majority of good reviews for two tiered hutches and guinea pigs! however I have heard that the ramps aren't very good for their little legs to be running up and down :(
opinions please!

Ramps can be bit of an issue for piggies I would suggest you add a side to it if it doesn't have one, so they have a little banister. Also put some old carpet or doormat onto the ramp for more friction. Lots of ramps came with wooden slats but I don't feel they are good enough.
They also learn to go up better than they do down. So they may be better living downstairs at first. If the bottom part is open, like a run I would encourage it is boarded at the ends and back, and even the bottom to make it a proper solid hutch. Otherwise their secure dry huch space really is no better than before.

Thank you! I will adjust the ramp to make it more piggy friendly, and I will see If I can get the sides of the hutch board up as at the moment only that back is boarded (the top is boarded either side)

My hutch had a ramp which had a side to it?
My piglets had never used a ramp but were zooming up and down after a few goes.
Maybe put a side on, then if they still don't like it but carpet on or a ramp tunnel.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Definitely add the banister that others have mentioned so that they can't fall through the opening if they are running around upstairs. We added some small strips of wood across the ramp in between the existing ones to give them more grip.

My hutch has a ramp made of guttering so it has sides to make it safe. ;)

P050312_15590001.jpg

You can buy fabric ramp tunnels as well.Don't have a link but am sure someone will help out with one.

candecosies.co.uk do ramp tunnels but not taking orders till August according to their website x

i was going to suggest candecosies for a ramp tunnel aswell :tu:

some piggies will not use ramps at all, but if yours do then there shouldn't be any issues, aslong as you adapt it to make it more piggy friendly. older piggies can struggle with ramps but you can always change their housing when they get to older age :)

We added a banister made of wood to ours.. they figured it out after 2 weeks..

I think that carpeting the floor of the ramp is fantastic for making piggies feel secure, obviously along with the others suggestion of adding sides so there can be no falls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back