• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

UK Storm Warning - Unseasonable high winds and danger of falling trees!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Because we are getting a full blown autumn/winter storm in summer, this is potentially more damaging:

- Unsecured hutches and sheds can be easily blown over or damaged by a strong gust (as they are predicted).
The highest risk will be on Saturday in England and Wales; not just along the South Coast but also inland.

- Risk of local flooding on already saturated ground from more slow moving showers and thunderstorms, especially in Scotland and North UK.

- HIGH RISK of falling trees and branches because they are still in full leaf and are therefore much more vulnerable to gales as they provide a much bigger surface for high winds to work on!

Please bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible to keep them safe!
Temporary Housing Solutions?

Because we are getting a full blown autumn/winter storm in summer, this is potentially more damaging:

- Unsecured hutches and sheds can be easily blown over or damaged by a strong gust (as they are predicted).
The highest risk will be on Saturday in England and Wales; not just along the South Coast but also inland.

- Risk of local flooding on already saturated ground from more slow moving showers and thunderstorms, especially in Scotland and North UK.

- HIGH RISK of falling trees and branches because they are still in full leaf and are therefore much more vulnerable to gales as they provide a much bigger surface for high winds to work on!

Please bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible to keep them safe!
Temporary Housing Solutions?

I’m in Bristol and have quite a heavy outside wooden hutch on short legs which is against a wall. It’s fully covered with a hutch hugger, do you think this will be OK? I’m so worried.

I’m in Bristol and have quite a heavy outside wooden hutch on short legs which is against a wall. It’s fully covered with a hutch hugger, do you think this will be OK? I’m so worried.

Personally I would bring them inside overnight and for tomorrow unless they are on the eastern rather than the western side of your house and well protected by the house walls.
At the very worst, they can camp in your bathtub. Bristol is right in the way of the strongest gales. :(

My piggies live indoors but I will be thinking of all the forum outdoor piggies.
Hope everyone stays safe

Personally I would bring them inside overnight and for tomorrow unless they are on the eastern rather than the western side of your house and well protected by the house walls.
At the very worst, they can camp in your bathtub. Bristol is right in the way of the strongest gales. :(

Thank you, that’s what I want to do. They are on the SW side of the house.
I’m living with my parents right now and despite the weather warnings they won’t allow me to bring the piggies inside.. I’m going to set an alarm for myself every hour through the night so I can check on them. If it seems like the hutch is unstable I’ll just bring them in regardless.

The winds are up very high and strong in Northampton. Wow!

We are bringing our piggies in as we have had problems with wind in the past, we are in the SW in Norwich and we are getting 60mph winds all day!

I am unable to bring my piggies inside due to the dogs barking at them and my family not allowing it, and I didn't want to leave them outside due to them living in a flimsy, second-hand hutch whilst we build them a shed (very exciting!) so my only way to protect them from the awful wind and rain here was to move them into our shed. Unfortunately this shed doesn't have a window so is completely dark, I can keep the door open to let in light during the day, however at night its very very dark!
I've only had them for 3 days and they were just finally becoming confident and beginning to come out and I'm worried that this change in routine with spoil that. Surely it's dark outside at night anyway so it won't be too different from what they're used to? I'm so worried about them and that I'm not doing the right thing, is there anything that I can do?

I am unable to bring my piggies inside due to the dogs barking at them and my family not allowing it, and I didn't want to leave them outside due to them living in a flimsy, second-hand hutch whilst we build them a shed (very exciting!) so my only way to protect them from the awful wind and rain here was to move them into our shed. Unfortunately this shed doesn't have a window so is completely dark, I can keep the door open to let in light during the day, however at night its very very dark!
I've only had them for 3 days and they were just finally becoming confident and beginning to come out and I'm worried that this change in routine with spoil that. Surely it's dark outside at night anyway so it won't be too different from what they're used to? I'm so worried about them and that I'm not doing the right thing, is there anything that I can do?

Until you have a safe shed, unfortunately not. You have done the right thing by moving them into a safer place during high winds.

Back