• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Unable To Eat Unaided

Status
Not open for further replies.

heath72

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi can somebody help, my guinea pig greg wasn't able to eat so I took him to the vet and one of his bottom teeth had broken and the top one had grown in its place also his back teeth had over grown, after 2 visits the vet had sorted them out but he is still unable to eat. He seems unable to eat on one side.

Is he eating at all for himself?

Please could admin or mods move this thread to the Health and Illness section.

do you have any critical care or supreme science liquid feed at all that you could help him with? If you can get some so that he has something going into him although I suspect he is eating something (even if its small amounts) otherwise his organs would have shut down. I know when I have had to supplement pigs in the past they have been more than happy to lap some cc off a spoon so I didn't need to syringe feed them at all

he tries to pick food up but doesn't seem to be able to, I have been syringe feeding him with cc and supreme science

There is an excellent dental vet in Northampton called Simon Maddock, would it be possible for you to take him there at all? Here is the website:

http://www.catandrabbit.co.uk/

Debbie who I tagged above has lots of experience with dental pigs and should hopefully be along at some point to offer more advice.

How is his weight? are you managing to maintain it with syringe feeding? Is he on any pain relief?

I am posting the link to our hand feeding guide just in case it has any information you aren't aware of.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Tagging admin and mods to move the thread if possible as you will get more answers in Health and Illness @sport_billy @lisaali @BossHogg

If at all possible get your piggy to Simon Maddock. He is our sanctuary vet and has worked wonders with so many piggies from all around the UK. In the meantime you are going to need to syringe feed to keep plenty of food going through his system and to keep him strong. If you want a chat on the phone I am more than happy to talk to you. My contact no is on the TEAS website www.teasnorthampton.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back